Question on leaking humidifier

Joined Oct 2006
3 Posts | 0+
Hi all. I'm looking for a little advice. A couple months ago I bought a small round humidifier with the little crystals in it. It was working beautifully up until today, keeping my humidor at a pleasant 68-70%. But today when I went to grab my evening smoke, it was leaking water/glycol all over my cigars. My hygrometer still read about 70%, but the crystals had shrank and were expelling the solution. Is this a common problem? Up until today I was sold on crystals over foam. When my cigars dry out I'll post a review on glycol-bathed cigars. May be the next cigar craze! Thanks for your thoughts.

Your humidifier has become saturated with glycol. The watter evaporates but the glycol does not. I think you should put that solution in like every 5 or 10 times that you refill it. I have only used Distilled watter. I think you need to replace the humidifier.

Agreed, perhaps switch to a typical credo unit. Honestly I'd just pick up a Cigar Oasis, set it and forget it. It's worth the investment.

I always thought you weren't suppose to use PG solution with beads, as they will eventually clog up the pores over time.

Sounds like one of those tubed thingys with a Gel like substance in it.

To save it - put the contents into a small tupperware (or like)
container & poke a bunch of holes in the lid.
Should get you through until you can replace it.
There not that much compared to cigars.
The beads are the way to go!
Heartfelt beads or something -
Maybe someone can add a link?
But the tupperware should be fine!

Correction: Their instructions said to charge it with THEIR pg solution, which I just assumed is 50/50.

HighPSI said:
www.heartfeltindustries.com

I'll second this site. Whatever you get from there, it'll work better than that crystal thing. Honestly, if you go to beads or an Oasis, you'll never go back to anything else.

The beads both take moisture in if it goes up & give moisture out is it drops.
By far the best system for a small humidor.