• Light in your hands

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Light in your mouth

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Joined Jun 2005
2K Posts | 0+
McHenry, IL
When you light your cigar, do you light the cigar in your hands first or do you light it in your mouth? I've always lit it first while holding so I'm curious as to how you all light up.

It actually depends. If I have my butane on me (which I normally do) I will light the cigar in my hands till it's even, blow out a little of the initial burn and then take my first long drag once it settles a bit.

On the rare occasion that I have to use matches, I'm sorta forced to light up with the cigar in my mouth since they don't last long enough for me to light it in my hand.

I can't remember if it was Vince who mentioned it on Blowin' Smoke but there was talk about lighting cigars with the cedar wrap that comes with it. I may switch to doing that method on the occasion a cigar comes with the cedar.

i light mine very close to the way in the "Lighting Cigars 101" thread.

i select the cigar and pull it out of my humi. I take the cello off and smell it. As i smell i roll it very gently in my hands.
I lick the cap for a pre light taste and usually use a punch to cut. i then draw a few times unlit to taste it and to clear out any loose tobacco. the i hold it in my hands and lightly toast the foot with my xikar. i rotate the cigar to make it more even. I blow on the foot to see if there is a spot i missed. if not i blow through the cigar to clear it out. i let it sit for 1-2 minutes. then i puff away.

its a process but ifi dont do it that way i dont feel that im getting all that i can out of the cigar.

I cant vote as I do both really every time. I usually start with my hands then move it to my mouth.

If it is a GOOD Smoke always light in my hand first - unless
I'm in the wind or situation as such.
Cheap yard gar I just light in my mouth.

kuzi16 said:
i light mine very close to the way in the "Lighting Cigars 101" thread.

i select the cigar and pull it out of my humi. I take the cello off and smell it. As i smell i roll it very gently in my hands.
I lick the cap for a pre light taste and usually use a punch to cut. i then draw a few times unlit to taste it and to clear out any loose tobacco. the i hold it in my hands and lightly toast the foot with my xikar. i rotate the cigar to make it more even. I blow on the foot to see if there is a spot i missed. if not i blow through the cigar to clear it out. i let it sit for 1-2 minutes. then i puff away.

its a process but ifi dont do it that way i dont feel that im getting all that i can out of the cigar.

My thoughts exactly

Light in my mouth, same as I had since day 1. I read the "lighting 101" thread, and gave it a shot a few times. Never quite got the hang of it. I actually use matches, sometimes toast the foot for a few seconds, just to warm it up.

I think I'll give the hand method a few more tries. I bought a torch this year, so, I'll see how that works out.

I usually torch the tip and blow on it to see the ring. Give it a puff out to clear the smoke and enjoy. There are times when I do not have a torch and I just need to light it in my mouth. Not a big fan because that smoke can taste nasty.

Bobberrific said:
Pretty much the same as everyone else. I like to scorch the tip just enough to get it blackened. Then I put the cigar in my mouth and light it up fully.

Thats exactly how I would describe my method as well

Thought I made the poll longer...

Anyways, this is interesting, as I thought more would light in the mouth. I think you get a much better light by doing it first and you also don't get that bitter taste.

I was having difficulty with an RP sungrown PC last night so I lit it in my mouth, and it just ruined the entire flavor profile for the rest of the cigar.

I always light in my hand. For me it has become almost a ritual.

I guess I'm with the majority here. I light it in my hand unless it is too windy or I don't have a good lighter.