quick- someone suggest what i should drink tonight with opus

Joined Feb 2006
816 Posts | 0+
West Hartford, CT
im gonna have my first opus x tonight, any drink suggestions other than a straight whiskey?
tia
-matt

Well, here goes the "obvious"- straight brandy/Cognac. A lot of people prefer that to whisky with a cigar. Personally I wobble back & forth. Sometimes I'm in the mood for Cognac, other times a nice single malt.
After those two, my next choice (flavor wise) is coffee. I usually drink it black with a cigar, though a bit of cream isn't bad either if you don't like it black. I have no experience with sugar in coffee + a cigar.
Plain 'ol water works well too. Not much flavor there, so you're just tasting the cigar. A lot of times I'll start out with some brandy or whiskey and a glass of water, then after I finish the booze I'll just drink water while finishing the cigar.

If you're going to smoke a fresh, right out of the store Opus X, or maybe a month or two out of the store at most, then I'd suggest coffee. You'll need it to get up off the canvas after the Opus X knocks you on your butt, and the referee is going, . . .

SEVEN, EIGHT, . . .!!!

:cryinlaugh: :rotflmao: :pumpkin: :mrgreen: :cryinlaugh:

I haven't tried this (yet... contemplating a liquor store run for Jameson...) but Irish coffee sounds like a good idea with a cigar.

Unless you like strong cigars, BLACK coffee would be better than Irish coffee.

:cryinlaugh: :sm_angel: :bolt:

Vintage port goes very well with Opus too.
Or you could go all out and have that cigar with a bottle of Opus One wine :wink:

I'm not so sure Carlito would approve of the pairing with the Opus One wine. I'm sure he's probably still a bit peeved from the lawsuit they were engaged in when the makers of Opus One wine tried to stop him from calling his cigar the Opus X.

So... what'd you drink with your Opus?

I'm drinking some Newcastle brown ale & smoking a Camacho Coyolar Toro. Granted it's not exactly a perfect combination, but I really like Newcastle so I just picked out a stick that could stand up to it. I wouldn't smoke an Opus while drinking Newcastle though- I generally stick to coffee, whisky, brandy, and water with high end sticks.

Anyone have any suggestions for what goes best with a Fuente Anejo? My first one is sitting in my humi waiting to be smoked. I've got single malt Scotch, Cognac, and high grade coffee on hand.

well, i went with my standard makers mark and coke with the opus and it was fantastic, this cigar lived up to my expectations and then some...it was fantastic all the way to the nub when i had to put it out cuz there was nothing left to hold on to...the makers and coke was just right and worked well just to cool the palate and really complemented it well...i just haven't been able to do the straight aged whiskey yet, while i like the taste, the act of trying to get straight anything down- whether it be bourbon, whiskey, cognac, etc.- without a gag and a wince is just too much of a chore still, but i love a good bourbon/whiskey and coke...man i loved that cigar

perfect burn, good pace, thick smoke and the taste was just awesome...one of those stoges that when i was done i couldnt help but think "damn that was good"

anyway, thanks for all your suggestions, i thought id venture off on something different to sip with my smoke but i just didnt want my trying to handle a straight cognac to detract from enjoying the cigar...all in due time

yeah, i have one that im "aging" for about a year till my honeymoon in the fall...and the one i had last night was a gift from eclipse_man that i had sittin a couple months but im not sure how long he had it...

i thought the general consensus was that opus's dont age as well as some others though, no?

Matt,
Good to hear you really enjoyed the Opus I gifted you! That stick had about 9 months worth of sleep time to it, but I would not be afraid to let any Opus sleep for a good long time. These cigars are built IMHO nearly perfect to be aged, so, I have a few that are a year and a half old, maybe I'll burn one soon and give the report.

Take care...

thanks again man, the cigar was wonderful and a great first exp. of an opus...i think im hooked on em now- this is gonna be expensive, lol...

I had a somewhat similar combo for my first Opus X. It was a snifter of single malt speyside scotch stright up, just a tiny splash of watre to open it up a bit, and a glass of diet coke. I think cola is a good pairing with a cigar. Just enough flvour to match up with the cigar, but also something to cleanse the palate.

Eclipse_man said:
Matt,
Good to hear you really enjoyed the Opus I gifted you! That stick had about 9 months worth of sleep time to it, but I would not be afraid to let any Opus sleep for a good long time. These cigars are built IMHO nearly perfect to be aged, so, I have a few that are a year and a half old, maybe I'll burn one soon and give the report.

Take care...

I have a couple boxes that are coming up on three years in a coupe months. They do keep getting better with age. I've smoked out of them every few months and I am still impressed with the change each time I light one up. They retain thet nice strong flavor, but lose that stomach turning power.