Quit smoking

Joined Dec 2005
106 Posts | 0+
Aurora, CO
Hey everybody. Today is day one of me quitting smoking. Cigarrettes of course. Wish me luck. Oh and I thought I'd throw in som pics of my motivation. If I quit smoking I can buy more sticks to fill my emptying humi. :D

Attachments

• Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 849
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 849
Congratulations! You're off to a great start. You have plenty of cigars, you admit that cigarettes suck, and you came here to tell us you're quitting. If you'd like, we can check you out every now and then by asking about the cigarettes. It might help you keep away from them. They are an abomination, not a true tobacco product, and as you noted, you'll have more money for cigars. :thumbsup: :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

I started smoking cigars more when I quit smoking. Cigs taste terrible after you have had a good cigar.

Best of luck to you it is one of the harsest things to do. When I quit I went to my doctor and got a prescription for "wellbutrin". It does nothing for the cravings but helps keep you mood tolerable. Hop this helps.

Good luck brother, keep us posted, and if you slip once in a while, that is okay too. I seriosly do not think that anyone can quit cold turkey.

Nice smokes by the way, those CAO blacks are one of my favs!!

I'm not quitting cold turkey... I'm on the patch. I hope it works

I do know that my ex-second wife quit cold turkey on January 3, 1982, and despite temptations, never picked them up again. For her, I also know at least a few dozen who just couldn't. I know one who quit with hypnosis. From what I hear, it's harder to quit than heroin, and I believe it. Those cigarette company bigwigs ain't stupid. They set out to make a product that would guarantee them an income for a lifetime. More addicting and harder to quit than heroin. And they laughed all the way to the bank.

And it's true, to say that cigarettes have tobacco in them, is like saying the Easter bunnys on toy store shelves are made of the world's finest chocolate. Keep at it. You CAN do it. Just because many have failed, doesn't mean another one has to. The patch is a good way to come down off it, and when it's time to take the patch off, if you ever feel tempted, come here and we'll help.

We shall, we shall, hmmmmmmmmmm, we will HIT YOU, . . .

very hard, . . .

with imported, real Italian, organically grown durum semolina tagliatelle boiled to a perfect al dente. And we shall act like the suit of armor in Monty Python, when he had his legs and arms cut off, and with blood shooting out, was still yelling insults. So we shall insult you, with totally silly, completely nonsensical, semi-Vaudevillian shtick. And we will do it with an English accent, if you prefer. :thumbsup: :sm_angel:

Good for you, man! I quit 15 years ago on my wedding day - I had no choice because my wife can beat the tar out of me. :lol:

It's a long tough road - but man am I glad I did it. I laid the groundwork for quitting by not smoking in the usual places that I was used to (my apartment at the time, my car and my office). Then when the wedding day came up I tossed them in the garbage and went to the church. (After the honeymoon, I did make my wife go into our condo first and throw them into the dumpster before I had second thoughts!)

Like you said before, now you can spend those $$ on some nice sticks.

Congrats!!!

Iv been wanting to try the chateu de fuente anyone know how they are?>

If it's from the regular line Fuente, I've always liked the taste of the regular line, and they come in different wrappers. They can kick a bit.

I smoked for 15 years and quite a couple of years ago. I did the same thing you're doing, switched to cigars to help forget about the cigarettes. The first couple of weeks I went through a lot of "Black & Milds" driving to work and back, after meals, that was the hardest for me. After like two weeks I realized I switched cigarettes for cheap cigars, couple of those packs everyday at least. In my experience you're on the right track, just don't do what I did and start smoking large amounts cigars that are like cigarettes. Like I say those first couple of weeks are the worst, use them if you need to, and then start weaning yourself off of them. See how long you can hold out for a good cigar, (like those davidoffs I see in you're pictures) :D I used to race home as fast as I could to smoke a good cigar, when I stopped smoking in my car, those were rough times. Hang in there, like I say after a couple of weeks you will notice a change, it will get easier. You have lots of friends here if you need us. Keep us updated on how you're doing. Good luck.

Good luck. I know from personal experience how hard it is but just remember your palate will develop much faster and cigars will taste so much better. Once I had my first cigar, I threw my last stash of Marlboros in the trash and knew I found the light.

As for quitting cold turkey, my grandma smoked for over 70 years. Then one day threw her cigarettes away and never smoked again 'til the day she died last year 13 years after she quit. My brother on the other hand still smokes even after doctors discovered a mass in his lung. It ended up just being a rare fungal infection but for weeks we thought he had cancer.

I know a guy at work who just quit c****ettes by switching to cigars.

What he'd do is inhale a puff or two to get a nicotine buzz going and then just puff like you normally do with cigars.

I don't know if that'd make it easier for others or not

Inhale cigar smoke?! :bigpuke: He must have some strong tolerance. But then again, my dad also inhales cigar smoke.

I quit cold turkey on my 25th birthday (I had always said that I would). Been about 15 months now (tomorrow, actually). That is when I decided to get into cigars more than just smoking them when they happened to be around. Between my wife's support and having the crutch of a tasty stogie from time to time, it wasn't as bad as I was worried. The wife (gf at the time) was amazed that I did it so abruptly and decisively.

The first three times I tried to quit, I didn't have either of the above mentioned support mechanisms, and it didn't work out so well. I once made a New year's resolution to START smoking again after four months clean (I was more than a little inebriated at the time).

Seriously though, it was a lot easier to "put off" smoking til I could sit down with a good cigar than it was to deal with the thought of "I can never smoke again" when I was in the middle of a craving. I guess that's a little bit of psychology at work there; lessening the discomfort of a situation by focusing on a time when the discomfort will pass.

Day 4 still no cigarettes going strong. Though this montecristo white is helping me along

Just think how much tastier a Montecristo is than a Camel!

Congrats, and keep up the determination!

I still puff on a cigarette occasionally because of short work breaks but I have developed a fondness for small cigars, only take a little while to smoke, taste great and are very budget friendly...usually $10-12 for a tin of 10. My favorites right now are the Ashtons, Cuesta Rey's, CAO Brazilia's and Punch.

When I do put a cigarette to my lips it's always an American Spirit Organic that I roll myself, no preservatives or additives and grown without fertilizers, eventually those will dissapear but for now I am happy with that tobacco.

Good luck to you Angryman.

I'm up in Massachusetts visiting my family and my dad smokes like a chimney. Damn he makes it hard. Though I think I'll raid him of some of his sticks coming in the mail.