Return. . .COSTA RICAN VACATION

Joined Jun 2006
83 Posts | 0+
Coral Springs, Florida
Well Folks I made it back,

Wow, what a Beautiful country. The resort left some things to be desired but, I had a marvelous time doing all of the excursions. Horseback riding, Zip lines were awesome, Whitewater rafting, sport fishing (and yes a caught a biggun').

I was very excited, everything was such an adrenaline rush. I recommend it for everyone to try. The only thing that was lacking well were a couple of things.

First of all, all of my excitement in preparation for the trip and smoking my cigars. . .I packed everything, let's see, I got six cigars, my cigar cutter. . .um, my carrying case(plastic zip-lock bag) what am I missing, oh yeah, I need my brand new colibri torch lighter. Can just use any 'ole lighter right?. . .wrong, very very, wrong.

I get to the security screening in Miami. . .and low and behold they pull me aside, and I realize what is about to happen. . .yep you guessed it, they took my lighter.

At this point I was done. . .I knew this was going to be the start of a really rocky vacation.

So, the first night I pick up a box of matches, from the gift shop. Spark up my first cigar. And something must've happen on the way through the metal detector. . .because this puppy was a genuine "dog rocket" It burned horribly and the taste was excruciatingly bitter.

I was very distraught over the whole thing. First my lighter then bitter smokes. And maybe I was expecting a little more out of the resort. Just so you know, I was at the Allegro Papagayo resort which was under new management. There were some basic hospitality issues and some untruths that were later revealed.

Overall, though this was an amazing vacation. I was able to let my cigars settle a a little and the others were not as bad as the first. I learned some valuable lessons on this trip. I will never go anywhere that I haven't personally researched.

I will never pack a lighter in my luggage again. . . I will always make the best out of tough situatuations.

. . .in short, I am glad to be home and back in the forum.

What, no pictures? And did you get the five pounds of La Minita coffee beans you were going to bring me? :dunno: :dunno: :help:

Before you go on any flying trip, it's a good idea to go to the airlines' web site, and check out the requirements. They should have them all there.

I hate flying, and haven't really done much in my life. When I had to make a recent trip to Puerto Rico, I was advised by many experienced flyers to use JetBlue. I went to their web site, and every question that I could have asked, and everything I could have thought of in preparation for the trip was there. One of the biggest things I noted was no lighters.

That makes perfect sense, because when you order lighters or butane from a web site, they always tell you no air shipping for lighters or butane. That's not a 911 thing. I've been ordering butane torch lighters and cigars from the internet for years, and it's always been that way. The pressurization of the cabin MIGHT cause an accident, and even though the chances are very small, a torch lighter blowing up in someone's pocket could cause a very ugly situation, including a spreading fire, which could bring down the plane.

Sounds like you had a great time despite some rough spots. Glad to have ya back man!

I just got back from a trip to Mn last week and flew Continental. As long as all the butane is removed from the lighter you can have it in your checked bag(not carry on). I picked up a bottle when I landed. As far as the metal detector affecting your sticks, I can't think of why that would happen. Even the x-ray machine poses no threats. Maybe it was just a bad stick.