River Rebuilding project

Joined Aug 2004
2K Posts | 1+
I am about to instal a stone between my house and the river.
These are some of the stones that will be used to build the wall.
As well as a picture of the river.

Attachments

• River-line.JPG
    River-line.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 694
  • stones - 1506.JPG
    stones - 1506.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 694
  • stones - 1503.JPG
    stones - 1503.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 694
get 100 slaves friends to come over and use a bunch of logs under the rocks and a few pivots ala egyption pyramid style construction. if you pay with some *GOOD* cigars ill stop by and help

The Ten Commandments: featuring Kuzi16 as the pharoah's evil overseer......

:lol:

I would think you could move them with one of those industrial telescoping forklifts. I used to operate them and was amazed at what you could do. I've seen steelworkers use a Lull forklift to lift some immense beams and hold them extended 20-25 ft in the air. We used JCB's which weren't quite that impressive, but with the boom retracted I would think you could pick one of those up. (Especially if you had the feet extended, but then you can't drive).

All the best,

Joe

Basically the placement of the stones in/on the wall is being done with a very Large Excavator.
It can pick these up & throw them!

When are you planning on having this done? It would be cool to come and check it out!

Materials are being brought in as we speak - site prep begines today or tomorrow - (removing trees, adding an access road, machinery on site & steel plates over driveway) once that is done it all @$$e$ & Elbows! :D

It will be interesting to say the least. Are there no easier ways though? Couldn't you use gravel or river rocks to raise the flooded area to redirect the flow back to the lower portions, or even dredge the river bed if you are bringing in the heavy equipment?

Motion123 said:
It will be interesting to say the least. Are there no easier ways though? Couldn't you use gravel or river rocks to raise the flooded area to redirect the flow back to the lower portions, or even dredge the river bed if you are bringing in the heavy equipment?

Well this river is very protected - it is one of the finest natural trout breeding streams in the State.
We have 10 pound trout that spawn here, dredging and such is very difficult to get permits for.

The intention is to move the river back & line the bank with stone.
This wall is being built 12 feet from the house as a back up towards future flooding problems.

The State is involved & because of that it gets more complicted.
Not enough time to explain all the BS I've gone through to get this far!

There will be a wall built to devert the water away from the house.
This is a large area -
257 feet long, 45 feet wide & 12 feet deep.

Eventually the ground lost will be replaced -
This is stage one!

I will photgraph the work as it happens.

How many of those boulders are they moving? Since the state is involved, are they footing the bill too?

Dang! Pretty cool stuff CC! Look forward to the pics as things progress!

The wall we are building is 110 feet long ans 10 feet high.
As for how many rocks - not sure they average in size 3/3/4
to 5/5/6 I don't do math unless it is counting money!
As for money part is from a State Grant through the DEP &
part I am paying for -

Good luck with the project brother, and I am wishing safety on all that are involved. Take it easy, do not rush, and all will go well!!

It is going to look mighty fine when it is finished, and the castle will be better than ever.

After all of the hard work is done, I will come down and do some fishin' with ya!!! :wink:

I am very surprised the state is letting you “change” the course of the river.
Usually they say nature is taking its course and you cannot change it.

MP5 said:
I am very surprised the state is letting you “change” the course of the river.
Usually they say nature is taking its course and you cannot change it.

I fought for 2 years - the deal is this River is one of the best Natural Trout hatchery waters in the State.
DEP saw that anothe rbad storm would if caused my home to wash
away & it was better to fix the river than pick a house out of it!

Here are a few more pictures:

Attachments

• 6-8-6  0154.JPG
    6-8-6 0154.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 282
  • 6-8-6  0156.JPG
    6-8-6 0156.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 282
Well I learned something yesterday -
The Excavator in the picture is the Mini Me of what is to be used to build the wall.
Today (I think) they are bringing in a machine 2x the size.
This I can't wait to see the big machine!
I Love Toys!
I have more picture of us tearing out trees & some other stuff.
Moving a little slow this morning.
CC 8)