Roast your own??? No, I . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
don't, but do any of you? Over at "another web site" I "met" at least three people who, over the past few years had discovered the joys of home roasting. They continually urged me to get into it, explaining how simple and actually inexpensive(!!!) it was, but my reply was always that it basically isn't in the realm of my thought processes, at least right now.

Now, when someone is telling you that the coffees you talk about getting from your favorite roaster, as good and world renowned as they may be don't come close to buying your own green beans and roasting your own, and these people have been drinking gourmet coffee for at least as long as you, and know at least as much if not a lot more than you about the subject, that you'd save at least half your money on your coffee budget, they can get pretty perplexed when you give them an answer like that.

But what am I supposed to do, get into everything in this world? If I got into everything that could save me a buck, I'd be wasting so much time being into all that stuff that I'd have no chance to be earning a buck!!! So, we have to choose our interests, keeping in mind that it's sometimes worthwhile to accept suggestions, even prodding, but keeping in mind that it's also prudent sometimes to pass up a good deal, even though you're sort of involved in that venue.

I simply don't have the time to get into it, or the focus. I'd rather buy already roasted whole beans from either Green Mountain or Oren's, leave the home roasting to others and be into other interests, some of which might be already saving me money. There's no doubt it has it's advantages, as well as the fact that you actually acquire knowledge of something that to me is really a whole other field in and of itself.

So anyway, I hear that home roasting is cheap, you come out with an extremely high quality product, and that cleanup is minimal. I also hear that the home roasting machine itself is pretty cheap and so getting started, like everything else today, is something that Joe Citizen get into at the snap of the fingers.

So, anyone out there that does it? Tell us about your experience, and I'll also try to track down at least one of the guys I know that does it and get him to come over here and talk about it.

I have roasted my own green coffees a few times , but I dont have the nack down yet, I have re roasted a few light roasted coffees to get a little more oil out of the beans before I grind them , but it isnt all that much better, I will let the Pro's with the right equipment do the roasting, but I will keep grinding my own in small batches & keep it as fresh as I can, Nothing better than a fresh cup of coffee a single malt & a fine cigar to start off the day Yea Baby, Whisky with breakfast !NOT instead of breakfast , that would not be kosher , & I do like a little Ham,bacon or sausage with breakfast, come to think of it , that isnt kosher either, Oh well !!! Enjoy, Vince

Hey Vince, from what those home roasted coffee experts used to tell me over on the other web site, it doesn't cost but about $75-150 to get "the right equipment." They were pushing me for years to give it a try. Maybe so, after all, coffee would cost about half the price it does now if I did that. I lost the e-mail address to one of those guys, otherwise I'd ask him to join up over here and get this forum going a bit more.

I dont know who it would be so I cant get the email for you, I will ask a few hunters I know to try this forum . Enjoy, Vince