Roasting Away

Mine are burnt at 8 minutes. I never go longer than 6 and 1/2, and I usually roast past second crack, but not too dark. I think I am going to try and tone it down a little.

I am using the Fresh Roast Plus 8 that I got from CBC. Wonder what you guys are using that roasts so fast. Mine are definitely not burnt at 12 minutes.

I am using the same thing. It might be the amount of beans that you have in there. Ar eyou useing only 2 scoops with the plastic cup they provided?

Same as Phish, Fr8 plus. I am using two cups form the enclosed plastic scooper. There is one coffee that I roast to ten minutes but it is a Coffee from a country not to be named.

Don't forget to get all of your holiday roasting done by today! I'm headed out to put a couple pounds through the popper for all the family that will be around.

Some pieces of advice from a new member here, although I've been roasting my own (all of it) for 20 years.

You need a fan to extract the smoke. This can be a hood or counter vent, or even a box fan in a nearby window. Absolutely essential.

Blends taste much better than single bean roasts. I like Java + Guatemala + Mocha (Ethiopia) I prefer a ratio of 2 parts Java, to 1.5 parts Guatemala, and 1.5 parts Ethiopia/Mocha

Light roasts are more acidic, and give you the same tummy ache or indigestion that diner coffee gives you. The darker the roast, the less acid in the bean.

Too dark, and you've burned away the flavor (beans will pass from oily to black and dull). The coffee will be almost tasteless.

Roast to the point where the beans start to look shiny (oily). Don't let it go more than this as the beans will continue to roast while you take them out of the pan.

I use a 12 inch iron skillet. Hot air blower-type (popcorn poppers) work well, but they don't last long. If I remember, they don't smoke as much as a pan will. It's been a while since I used a blower type.

Have fun . . . enjoy home roasted coffee -- it's the best!

ps: I roast about 4 days worth of coffee at a time. You don't want it to get old once it's roasted.

phisherman said:
I am using the same thing. It might be the amount of beans that you have in there. Ar eyou useing only 2 scoops with the plastic cup they provided?

Yeah I'm using the same plastic cup as a measure.

Well as per the instructions we are correct.