Rocky patel R4

Joined Feb 2006
2K Posts | 3+
Kelvin's House
Well I am not a fan of Rocy patel cigars as a rule, but this was given to me buy a guy at the local shop. He got it as part of a deal on CI. I smoked it last week and forgot to post.

Good cigar. I mean nothing to write home about but I did enjoy it. Fairly med in body. a little spice a litte earth

2 smoke rings

I have had a R4 also. Was not a big fan either. Seemed to be just another Rocky!

First time poster, long time smoker...

I typically like some of RP's smokes, such as the Vintage 90's and 92's and the last sun grown I had was pretty good as well. As for the R4... TERRIBLE Cigar.

I got enticed to buy them form CI as well. When I purchased mine they were for very cheap, and if I remember correctly part of some deal.

I got a box of them as cheapo's to give to my friends who typically will only smoke 1/2 a cigar if lucky and typically waste my precious smokes.

Like all stoges in my humi, I smoke them. Every R4 I purchased had a terrible draw, so tight the cigar typically went out, and if I was lucky after a while of working the cigar I could get a draw, but a sucky one at best. Total waste.

My theory with them is they were produced exclusively for CI, or other bulk retailers, to sell as a RP name but a cheap shitty product.
Not sure if this is true or not, just my theory.

Welcome to the forum!

I agree. The R4 is a horrible cigar in my opinion. This cigar really turned me off to Rocky Patel cigars for a long time. I've smoked several RPs in the past few months and enjoy the brand for the most part. I smoked a Sun Grown the other night and really enjoyed it.

DL

Welcome to the forum!

I agree. The R4 is a horrible cigar in my opinion. This cigar really turned me off to Rocky Patel cigars for a long time. I've smoked several RPs in the past few months and enjoy the brand for the most part. I smoked a Sun Grown the other night and really enjoyed it.

DL

Sungrown is an Excellent smoke... It is too bad the R4 turned you off, as you know, not anything like a typical RP.

I've liked the Rocky Patels I've smoked so far and haven't tried the R4. I had a couple of Perdomos I didn't like so I have avoided them, but now I bought a few others to try based on what has been said about them. I'm a Gurkha lover, but I've found two of their line I didn't care for so far. I imagine that most of the name brands have some dogs that they sell.

The R4 is not a great cigar... But don't let that turn you off to Rocky Patel. The vintage 1990 and 1992 (especially the 90) are excelent cigars. I am a fan of the perfecto size, its a nice 45 minute smoke.

As for perdomo's I keep getting impressed as a brand I think they consistently make good cigars. As for a budget comparable in price to the R4 ...the Perdomo Slow Aged lot 826. Same price, but a much nicer cigar... about $3.50

How come I am the only one that liked this cigar. I got my first bundle in 2007, and liked every one that I smoked. I got some more from the same source - my good friend Robert, and liked that batch too. Different smokes for different folks I guess.