Rye, anyone??

Joined May 2007
168 Posts | 0+
Northern California
Yo, Mr. Bloofington,

And all the rest of you knowledgeable gents. I haven't checked in recently but have been diligently working at training my taste buds to enjoy good sour mash bourbon.

Along the way, the question has arisen regarding Rye whiskey.

What heavy knowledge can any of you impart to this newcomer regarding Rye whiskey? Is it good, bad, or indifferent? If it's good, what should I look for in choosing one or more to try? Is it worth trying at all?

I'd be interested in hearing (reading?) your thoughts on this. Thanks for taking the time.....

This is my current Top Ten Rye list. This list, for general information purposes, can also be found on my Top 25 Bourbon List thread, and all future changes will be noted on that thread.

Before we go in to what I am going to say with regard to your hopes, and the thrust of any expeditions, I'll say this. There are major changes going on in the American whiskey industry. Old labels are having the names of certain products slightly altered, as what happened to a member here when he purchased the Evan Williams 1783 bourbon, and found it wasn't the same as the one I had recommended will attest.

Old stocks are drying up, old whiskey is being replace by younger whiskey, corporate takeovers, mergers, new batches being made with the intention of pure bottom dollar mentality, it's all happening right now. Old favorites and famous classics going, going, soon to be gone, skyrocketing prices, it's not a buyer's market right now. That's way more true when searching for rye than bourbon. The following comments are the only worthwhile thing I can tell you right now, and please remember, it's only the opinion of . . .

The GREAT DUMBoni, hee, hee, heee!!!

Forget No. 1, it doesn't exist any more, neither does No. 2, and if you can find any of either, don't pay what they're asking without coming here and asking my opinion on the price vs. how bad do you really want it factor, and the is it really worth that much factor.

No. 3 exists, but don't pay what they're asking. Chalk it up as something you can't have in life, because the "old days" are gone.

No. 4 can be had, but get it now, because prices are skyrocketing.

Always get No. 5, and lots of it, if you can afford it.

Buy yourself a bottle or two of No. 6, note how unique and special it is. Then note how monotonous it is, praise whatever god you believe in for having helped you to afford it, and never buy it again, because it's overpriced.

Buy as much of No. 7 as you feel like, and don't complain, it's not even $30.

In my opinion there isn't anything else out there worth trying right NOW, and yes, that includes my Nos. 8-10, and all others I haven't bothered to try.

Top 10 Rye List

1. The Classic Cask 22 year
2. Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 year*
3. The Classic Cask 21 year
4. Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 year (final release)**
5. Sazerac 18 year
6. Old Potrero Straight Rye (90 proof)
7. Sazerac 7 year
8. Vintage 21 year
9. Vintage 23 year
10. Black Maple Hill 18 year

Footnotes

*Bottles with anything from "A" through "E" preceding the number.

**Bottles with anything from "F" on preceding the number.

Rye is great stuff. I find it similar to bourbon, but with a stronger, spicier flavor. Overall I think I prefer it to bourbon, though I tend to prefer strong flavors- my favorite whisky is currently Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength. That should tell you that my opinions should be taken with a bucket of salt. Laphroaig is one of the strongest tasting whiskys around, and many regard it as one of the most offensively flavored.

I sprang for a bottle of Hirsch 21yo rye a while ago. Binny's was out of Classic Cask. It is not cheap, $100-120 or so. It's like drinking a glass of oak with some rye in it. I think it's great, but I like the oaky astringency. A lot of bourbon/rye fans will not like it at all. Still, I don't think it's really worth the price unless you're looking for a treat and really like oak. I had a 20% off coupon and a reason to celebrate, so I splurged.
If you're not sure what I'm talking about and like tea I'd try getting some Assam (Indian black tea) or Sencha (Japanese green tea), brewing it strong and drinking it without milk or sugar. Those two teas have the same tannic astringency the Hirsch rye does. If you like rye and like either of those you'll probably like the Hirsch.

Aside from that bottle of Hirsch, I've mostly had inexpensive ryes. The 6-7yo Sazerac ($25, I've seen it reported with both ages and the bottle doesn't say) is my favorite of them so far. Definitely get that one if you see it, even if you're made of $. I also enjoy Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond ($13-17 100 proof) and Wild Turkey Rye ($20 101 proof). Of those two I prefer the Rittenhouse, though I know people who prefer Wild Turkey over Rittenhouse.