San Cristobal Monumento

Joined Apr 2006
1K Posts | 0+
Watching Eli smoke Robs cigars
For me the name of this cigar was perfect as it was a monumental failure in every aspect of my smoking experience. To be honest I am a Pepin fiend so I had a very high expectation for this cigar.

Place: Front porch with Eli
Beverage: Makers Mark, one elbows worth.

Had a wonderful meal of Prime rib with bergundy mushrooms and a baked potato with blackberry cobbler for desert. Went buy a BM in Birmingham and picked out a handful of my favorites along with my first NC SC. I also allowed the cigar to sit out of humidification for a could hours before I smoked it.

Not much can be said about the flavor of the cigar other than that it displayed some potential about an inch of the way through developing some sweetness and classic earthy notes. These soon turned, however, into a harsh taste that is still with me now the morning after. It was like burnt toast. On top of the one dimensional putrid taste it left me fighting to rid my self of it burned absolutely horrible. I doubt I will try another one these again. On my list of cigars that I hate I place it slightly lower than the highly over rated nub.

I feel like I was being punished for smoking a replica brand of the real San Cristobal. Using the six smoke ring system I give this cigar a solid 2.

Off to scrub my mouth again…

I am also a big Pepin fan, I have said it before that I am limited on ISOM experience so I can not compare the two. But as I said in the "What you smoked" thread, I had alot of issues with the first one of these I smoked, mostly the burn, but the flavor was ok. I did have a second last month and I really enjoyed it. I usually give a stix at least two before writting it off. But then again different people do like different things.

I may try it again in the future but no time soon. Normally I hold to the opinion that most cigars deserve a second chance. However, at ten bucks a stick I'm getting less and less forgiving about bad first impressions.