Seasonal smoking

Joined Aug 2007
2K Posts | 28+
Somewhere down in Texas
How do you guys smoke during the winter? I smoke outside only. My wife loves the smell of cigars, but I still choose to only smoke outside. We have an enclosed back porch that I have converted into my cigar lounge. I say enclosed, more like screened. No mosquitos can get in. I usually take a propane Coleman heater out there with me on really cold nights. I also enjoy hanging out and smoking in my garage, but that can get really cold. So during winter it is the back porch for me. How do you guys do it, and what is your preference?

DL

I'm an outside smoker too. Today I endured some light snow and tonight I may endure temperatures near freezing. Cigar smoking takes a dive in frequency in winter and the cigars smoked tend to be shorter (except those hour plus Nubs). I would like an enclosed and covered space, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards. I tend to smoke the pipe more frequently in winter, also outside.

I enjoy pipe smoking in the winter as well. I really need to take my pipe smoking to the next level. I haven't smoked one in over a year. I like churchwardens and my wife bought me a really nice one a couple of Chistmas's back. I've only smoked it half a dozen times.

DL

it's easy!

It's easy, I live in Phoenix so winter is the best time to smoke outside. I have to go to indoor lounges the rest of the year. ;)

I enjoy pipe smoking in the winter as well. I really need to take my pipe smoking to the next level. I haven't smoked one in over a year. I like churchwardens and my wife bought me a really nice one a couple of Chistmas's back. I've only smoked it half a dozen times.

DL

Smoke that bad boy! what do you normally smoke in it?

Smoke that bad boy! what do you normally smoke in it?

I'm not even sure what I have anymore. I have a lot of pipe tobacco. Some C&D, Christmas Cheer, etc. I love pipes. I may pursue it more after the first of the year.

DL

It's been cold here and I haven't been enjoying the good cigars the past few days. I never liked the "tin" type expensive pipe tobaccos and finally settled for Black Cavendish. The brand I have now is not very good which got me off my multiple pipe a day habit. But I do even enjoy the not so good stuff from time to time. I smoke E A Carey pipes which reduce or eliminate bite.

It's been cold here and I haven't been enjoying the good cigars the past few days. I never liked the "tin" type expensive pipe tobaccos and finally settled for Black Cavendish. The brand I have now is not very good which got me off my multiple pipe a day habit. But I do even enjoy the not so good stuff from time to time. I smoke E A Carey pipes which reduce or eliminate bite.

What sort of tobaccos do you enjoy? I'm guessing by the Cavendish you enjoy the milder/sweeter smokes?

Must have missed this question under the former spam. I mainly smoke black cavendish and for the past 10 years, cheaper ones. I previously smoked a high quality black cavendish at the rate of 8 -10 pipes a day, now with the cheaper stuff that's about what I smoke per month. I always liked a nice aromatic tobacco and black cavendish fit the bill and did so without any bite. Everything else I tried just didn't make it. There was a peach danish tobacco I had once that was pretty good, but it ghosted the pipes and I had to smoke straight tobacco in them for quite a while to get the taste out. The really expensive tin tobaccos never appealed to me and all the other aromatics came with a bite.

The only way to smoke when its cold is to bundle up and go at it. My personal record is smoking a cigar at -31C last winter. If you are dressed for it, its really not a big deal, but having a garden shed to smoke in helps.

I once experienced -32f. There is no way (well maybe a substantial bribe) that I would go outside if I didn't have to, much less for a cigar. As I recall, the car groaned before it slowly turned over and started running roughly. Next challenge was shifting into any gear and once that got done, I had to rock the car back and forth to get the brakes to release. -32f=-36c.
Did you light the cigar before venturing out ?

Last edited:
Gordon,

Be careful with carbon monoxide poisoning while smoking in your shed. I know you run a heater in there.

DL

Same with me--no smoking in the house. It gets pretty cold here in southwestern New York state so that means my cigar smoking goes way down in the winter months. I tried the propane heater route and one day as I was huddled around my heater trying to enjoy my Ashton VSG, I asked myself if I was really giving my cigar the attention it deserved or was I thinking about how cold I was. Ever since, I don't smoke in the winter unless we get one of those occasional warm days (above 40-45 degrees) when a warm jacket will let me enjoy my smoke. Also, I find my self going for the robustos & coronas in the humidor and saving the lonsdales & churchills for the summer months.

I will take a run to JR's and meet up with a couple of buddies in the winter. Sometimes I will go a couple of months without having a cigar, waiting for golf season to start.

Don't like smoking outside in the winter much - I am too old and cranky for that.

Winter smoking is just as satisfying as smoking in the summer, you just have to be prepared with a warm place, lots of clothing, and good music for your Ipod. Plus, you get the satisfaction of thumbing your nose at the cold while you do something that you enjoy.

I like to smoke outside winter or summer. Texas winters aren't as harsh as the northern states. In the winter I'll frequent the cigar club more often. If I can't make it there as much as I need to, I will light the chiminea with old cigar boxes mixed with wood and huddle around it.

In the summer I have a nice fan that will keep me cool.