Semi-newbie question

Joined Aug 2007
11 Posts | 0+
West Lafayette, Indiana
Or maybe a total newbie question from a semi-newbie.

I've been smoking cigars for a couple of years, I'm still learning a lot (thanks largely to this forum) but I'm not a total novice.

My question is about lighting perfectos. I have read a few tips saying that you should clip the closed foot before you light it, while others say that you should leave the foot alone when you light. I tend to think the latter is "correct" since the tiny bit of wrapper at the closed end will just add to the flavor, but I don't know for sure :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
I've only had one perfecto in the past, a Fuente Hemingway Short Story, and I did NOT clip the foot, but I experienced a lot of burn issues, which at the time I attributed to my novice lighting technique. I've become a little better since then (although I still run into some problems, particularly with pyramids.)

Anyway, I have a number of perfectos waiting for me in my humidor. I have a couple more Hemingways (both are Signatures, one Cameroon and one Maduro.) I also have a number of Gurkhas and a Matasa 30th Anniversary which were all part of custom samplers and my initial CoM selection from Cigar.com. Since I want to get full enjoyment of these, I want to be sure I'm doing it the "right" way.

So, any advice on lighting a perfecto? I generally use a torch lighter, if it makes a difference. Thanks in advance for any advice that anyone can provide, and thanks also for all the great tips that I have found so far.

I always snip just a bit. the little wrapper that you have there will not make a difference in flavor since when you burn it it is to hot to impart a flavor to it, (you are burning away any oils) so I feel that a little bigger foot to get a good light is a good idea.