Shaggy foot question

Aug 18, 2007
Hawaii
This might be a dumb question, but is there a proper or best way to light a shaggy foot cigar? I haven't tried on yet, but I have some on the way, and was just wondering if there was anything different i should do to get off on the right foot.

Apr 7, 2006
on the grass
Stryker808 said:
This might be a dumb question, but is there a proper or best way to light a shaggy foot cigar? I haven't tried on yet, but I have some on the way, and was just wondering if there was anything different i should do to get off on the right foot.

they say the best questions dont have answers.

must be a good question. seems that so far no one has a clue.

... this is usually about the time alex chimes in...

Mar 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'm going to say "no". But only because at the local cigar lounge they always toast your cigar first, unless you're having a shaggy foot.

Mar 8, 2005
South Florida
I've had a few shaggy foot sticks. Usually what I do is toast the shaggy part until most of it burns off and I'm able to properly roast the filler, then light as usual.

I dunno if that made any sense, but I hope it helped.

Apr 7, 2006
Watching Eli smoke Robs cigars
Wolfdaddy said:
I've had a few shaggy foot sticks. Usually what I do is toast the shaggy part until most of it burns off and I'm able to properly roast the filler, then light as usual.

I do the same thing

Jan 21, 2007
Seattle
Wolfdaddy said:

Which begs the question, why the shaggy foot? If people generally burn it off before lighting as a cut foot, why do they bother with it? I wonder if it makes a difference to treat the shag like kindling, light it first, and let it light the rest.

Apr 7, 2006
on the grass
HiTide said:
Out of ignorance

What would be an example of a shaggy foot cigar ?
...backwoods... :lol:

though those are "shaggy foot" i wouldnt exactly call it a "cigar"

a shaggy foot cigar is a cigar where the tobacco on the foot has not been trimmed down to be even and smooth. in other words the filler is sticking out in a "shaggy" way. Gurkha makes some and so does Victor Sinclare.

Aug 18, 2007
Hawaii
Thanks guys. I guess Ill try it several different ways and see what works best. Ill let you know.
BTW The ones I got are the Gurka shaggy foots.

Oct 14, 2012
Connecticut
Resurrecting this old post to mention that I have some El Mejor cigars with a shaggy foot and I did toast the foot a bit before lighting. I think it was the El Mejor Emerald.

Oct 31, 2005
Central Canada, eh?
Ghurka makes a great shaggy foot cigar called of all things "Shaggy". Matty and I split an order of them, and we both enjoyed every last one to the nub!!

Aug 10, 2007
Somewhere down in Texas
I recall several years ago Gurkha had a promotion. You filled out an online questioniare on their website, and they sent you a 3pk sampler and a nice leather case. I filled it out and received my cigars. One was a shaggy foot. It's still in my humidor. As said, it's been about 4 or 5 years ago. I bet that thing would be awesome now. Maybe I'll light it up soon.

DL

Oct 14, 2012
Connecticut
Just read today that the shaggy foot gives the smoker a taste of the filler and binder before the combination with the wrapper. I'll have to note that the next time I smoke one.

Jun 27, 2005
F*ing Jersey
I have some custom rolled shaggy foots from the Upmann Factory in Cuba that I was able to get from a great guy. Definitely enjoyed the flavors - expected it to be stronger that it was - very enjoyable.