Smoke and Drink?

Joined Jan 2005
6 Posts | 0+
Maryland
Greetings and salutations. For some time I've been enjoying the occasional [once or twice per year] cigar. I have recently been looking into the higher end cigars to enjoy with more frequency. I've already learned a thing or two from this forum that has helped me more thoroughly enjoy the cigar-smoking experience, and for that, I thank everyone who has posted here.

Anyway, I'm looking for some opinions on smoke and drink combinations. Such as, is there a particular cigar that goes well with Scotch [or any other drink]? Too, what cigars go well with what coffee blends? Any response is most appreciated. Many thanks.

With a coffee try a hoyo de monterrey dark sumatra. I found this is the best match for a dark roast. As far as the scotch goes I have often found that all cigars go well with scotch but to avoid the Islays as they can be so peaty and smokey that you can loose some of the aromas from the cigar and the compete too much. Stay with a highland malt. As for cigars you might do best to try this combo with a medium or full bodied smoke, Davidoff Special R perhaps. If you are a huge islay fan you can try a more mild cigar that will compete less for flavor with your drink of choice.

I enjoy port or Sherry as a compliment to my sticks. Of course there is also good heavy beer, it also depends where I'm at, in the islands, Malibu :shock: and coke is always nice....

Gotta' go with Macallan on this one. Scotch is great with a smoke. Also, the strength of the two should be complimentary; a mild smoke will go better with dewars blended just as a full-bodied smoke would better accompany a single malt such as Balvenie single barrel.

If you're into cognac, a good smoke and that is nice to warm up with.

Additionally, can't go wrong with a nice port...especially after dinner. A good quality brew (micro or import) is good as well. It really depends on the mood, weather, availability, etc. As with cigars, it's subjective. Experiment and you will find your favorite pairings.

DM 8)

I agree with all of the above. At the risk of boring those around here who already know me too well :cryinlaugh: , I'd have to say you can't go wrong pairing a cigar with bourbon or rye either. :sm_angel:

...AND, if you don't want a 'peaty' Scotch to compete with your good smoke, try a bottle of Jameson's Gold Label, or 1780. I also like the Sumatra Mandehling in an espresso roast, ground fine, and steeped in a French Press.

Drinkie drink

Perhaps bourbon, sure. I didn't really mention it, as it's not my not my flavor. But it's all good.

I would be remissed if I didn't acknowledge "Switch." Yes, I do have a bottle of Jameson's...I've piared it...it works well!

DM

I might be wrong but the last time I looked Jamisons was an Irish Whisky not Scotch . If you want a smokey taste you cant get much more smoke than Laphroaig. I love the 16 year old Lagavulin just enough smoke with out the iodine of the Laphroaig, both are great single malt scotches that pair well with a fine cigar , I would pick a Camacho to go with the Laphroaig & a Monte for the Laugavulin, but that is just my taste buds you might like some thing all together different , Enjoy, Vince

i just had the best smoke ever this evening. i dont know what was the main contributor, maybe the cusano 18 i had was very agreeable or maybe it was the port that hightend the experience, i tell you it was magic!

Many wonderful suggestions, thanks. Keep 'em coming.

The scotch I've been drinking latley is The Glenlivet, French [Limousin] Oak Finish, aged 12 years. I find it very not bad as scotch goes, but I'm not sure it serves to compliment the cigars. But then again, maybe I'm smoking the wrong cigars.

I guess that's my next question. Rather than what drinks go with the cigar, what cigars go with the drink?

ANY cigars. ANY cigar you please. As for what to try, try them all, one at a time. It's really the best way. Certainly look for and listen to opinions and suggestions, but try them all. Cigars, cognac, scotch, whatever you're into, try it all. Then you'll know what you'll like having around. I thought I knew something about what I liked when I had tried about ten bourbons. Now I've tried 50, I know what I like, but I'm still trying new things.

hey,

try Woodford Reserve bourbon. it is very smooth and tends to compliment my sticks very well.

i myself need to try some good ports. i lean toward our fav merlot and pino noir wines; like wild horse, stags leap.

When I light up a Romeo y Julietta Churchill, I like to sip a little Oban Single malt. When I light up a Dutch Master, anything helps!

hey 8)

anybody out there who can clue me in on ports and sherry; PLEASE do! do you drink with anything else? do you use a large brandy snifter type glass?

of all they wines and liquors and beer i have experienced; i have yet to try these. any suggestions :?: :?: :?: