smokes smell bad

Joined Oct 2006
78 Posts | 0+
California
Concern here. I have a couple of smokes that are not smelling very good. which is odd because the rest smell fine. I had a carlos torano virtuoso that just smelled horrible. is this due to poor circulation in my humi? Or am I getting the dreaded mold? I keep my humidor at about 64-65% humidity and 68-70F. I don't see why I would be getting mold. Any ideas?

Some smokes just have a barnyard smell to them and thats no big deal in fact its normal.

very true, but the question is does it smell like mold? I had a 5Vegas 'A' the other day that I threw out, because it smelled like moldy cheese or something....it was probably starting to mold long before it came to me, that just happens sometimes, you win some, you lose some, and some get rained out...

Reactions: 1 users
As stated above, some smokes smell bad. I gave a friend of mine a Centruian XX. After about 3 weeks in his humi, he went ahead and smoked it because it was smelling like "a wet mule". (Mind you it had about 6 months age in my humi.) He said that it was the best cigar he's ever had.

Try one of the stinky ones, I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.

--Scott

There is a period - I call a "sick period" part of the curing process.
They can have a tannic smell.

What is your RH at?

CastleCrest said:
How do your cigars feel????

Thats a fantastic question. I have come to base my desired humididty on this very question. Of course I learned that from a post you posted many moons ago CC. Thanks.

elidog said:
CastleCrest said:
How do your cigars feel????

Thats a fantastic question. I have come to base my desired humididty on this very question. Of course I learned that from a post you posted many moons ago CC. Thanks.

I always like being right!!!!!

only happens when the wife isn't around!!!!

Normal I guess. Not too squishy but not too firm. I think its just that aging period you were mentioning earlier. I will just watch them. Thanks a lot guys. I smoked it and it was fine.

So, many months later, how are those cigars doing now??

My gf that we r planning on build our dream marriage is complaining that cigars smell bad. I wonder if there is a special trick to eliminate the smell?

But then how do you get rid of the ammonia smell (I'll take long time cigar anytime"). ;)
Back to the original post, I once bought a 5 pack and the first 3 cigars tasted and smelled awful and perhaps even moldy. The 4th and 5th almost went in the trash, but a few months later I took one out of the humidor and it smelled OK, so I smoked it and it was OK and so was #5. These are the only 3 I ever had such problems with.

very true, but the question is does it smell like mold? I had a 5Vegas 'A' the other day that I threw out, because it smelled like moldy cheese or something....it was probably starting to mold long before it came to me, that just happens sometimes, you win some, you lose some, and some get rained out...

:roll::roll::roll::roll:

yes I know that too, some cigar has a bad smell on it that's why I like to smoke cuban mexico cigar they smell good to me.

Consider that cigars are made of tobacco, grown in fields of dirt and possibly fertilized with either chemicals or manure. You aren't smoking flowers, you're smoking old leaves -- how should they smell? :)

But seriously, odor doesn't seem to have much bearing on flavor. Some of the best-tasting cigars I've ever had smelled terrible, while some of the nicest-smelling cigars I've tried either tasted terrible or had almost no taste at all.

As for mold, I suppose it could occur within the filler or on the binder; but generally if a cigar is moldy you'll clearly see bluish mold on the surface of the wrapper.

Fortunately, the only discoloration on any of my sticks is some nice white (and desirable) bloom on my RyJ 1875 Cetro No. 1s. I bought them that way, from either JR or Mike's (can't remember which); I consider myself fortunate.