Some questions and recommendations?

Joined Apr 2006
28 Posts | 0+
Boston, MA
I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to cigars right now. I've smoked a few Ashtons (which I loved) and an Arturo Fuente for the time being. My brother-in-law got me on them. They are a joy! Good times. Anyways, I had a few questions regarding cigars and everything about them. I've looked on a lot of websites, but I still had questions, so I came here. Here goes:

1 . Do I still need a humidor when I order a box set of cigars from a website? Do the boxes they come in preserve humidity? Also, some humidors only hold 20, and a lot of boxsets are 25. Are these numbers relative with size? A box set would last me a few months easy.

2. Regarding butane lighters, which one is a good one to get? I'm not cheap, but I also don't feel like throwing more than $20-$30 on a good refillable lighter.

3. I like Ashtons right now, but still have a lot of others on their line to try. I've had an Imperial and Monarch. I believe I can handle mild to medium. Among Ashton users, any great ones to try?

4. If you bought a box set of Ashtons, which would it be? Or are box sets worth it to you?

A beginner asking advice. Thanks :oops:

First off, welcome. You found a great place to hang out.
Now onto your questions:

1. If you plan on keeping cigars for more than a week I highly suggest picking up a humidor. Say away from a humidor that holds a small amount of cigars like 20. Spending a little more for a larger storage unit now will save you money in the long run.

2. I've had $2 lighters perform fantastic and $150 ones which were absolute crap. My current torch lighter cost me around 7 bucks and it's almost a year old. If you're gonna drop some cash on a good one, make sure the company stands by its product and that it's covered against normal wear and tear.

3. There are lots of great Ashtons out there. A couple of my favorites are the VSG line as well as the Aged Maduro line.

4. If I were to buy a box of Ashtons right now it would be either the Aged Maduro #20 or #40, which are two great smokes. It really makes sense to buy a whole box because it'll usually save you a few dollars per cigar.

Thanks for the reply. Well, this is funny. Today, I randomely thought about cigars and checking more into them. Last cigar I smoked was a few months ago. I browsed a lot of sites, then came to cigar.com. I was intrigued to stay here with the info and forums. I registered for the forums, posted this, then looked at other threads......

....then I found this :shock:

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/default.asp ... &brand=FRI

I could not BELIEVE what I was seeing. 40 hand rolled cigars? A Southport mid-level 40 count humidor? Almost 60% off?! A one day sale?! Keep in mind, I came to this site and actually registered in the forums on a day with possibly the greatest deal known to mankind. THE CIGAR GODS MUST'VE GUIDED ME! :lol:

So yeah, I purchased it, along with a stainless steel 2-way gulliotine cutter. What a better way to get started in cigars with a deal like that?! If I had started any other time, I would've paid at least an extra $100!!!!

I'll look into a lighter that won't kill my cigars. Thanks for advice again. :wink:

Durn Axy, you got all the answers right , the first try.
Welcome Fxcreamer to the board

BigTom said:
Durn Axy, you got all the answers right , the first try.

And at a little past 4 am my time too...I guess I picked the right night to have insomnia :lol:

fxscreamer, wlecome to the forum. We love having new guys come around and joining in on the fun. By joining this forum you not only have access to a wealth of knowledge, but you have also opened pandoras box of a hobby. I predict that if you stick around and visit often you will need a bigger humidor than yo have just bought filled with many different types of cigars.

Okay boys, lets line him up with a Coolerdor, and he will be set!!

Welcome aboard, fxscreamer!

Now that you've found this forum, you would need AT LEAST a 300-ct humidor. If you're planning to make box purchases, a cabinet humidor would be best. Boxes or singles, it's best to store them in a humidor.

The Friday deal you've purchased is an absolute steal! But the humidor will not be enough for you, as you've found this forum. You can use this 40-ct humidor as your "ready-to-smoke" on-your-desk humidor. And use the 300+ humidor for long term storage of your precious cigars.

Have you tried EVERY Ashton brand? They're all excellent smokes.
If you like mild-medium smokes, then give the Cusano 18 Double Connecticut a try.
http://www.cigar.com/cigars/default.asp ... &brand=C18
They are my favorite everyday or to-go smokes. And the price is affordable too.

As for lighters, I have 2 no-name-branded torch lighters. I keep them in shape by bleeding them once in a while, clearing out the igniter area from debris, and refilling with a good brand triple-refined butane. I also have 2 Colibri lighters, 1 of which refuses to light anymore, despite my revival attempts.

Don't limit yourself to Ashtons. There may be other sleepers out there that may suprise your palate.

Axe has given you very good advice.

If you have any more questions, lots of folks here will help.

Welcome to the forum! All of the previous posts are right on!

As for lighters, I have a Z-plus butane lighter insert for my Zippo. It works really well. It's around $15.

fxscreamer

For the love of all you hold dear, RUN MAN RUN and never look back.

If you leave now, you will perhaps maintain you're sanity. If you stay, you will find yourself reading cigar catalogues in the bathroom while you're taking a.....well you know.

Welcome to the forum. I'm a newbie also and this sight is fantastic. LIsten to these guys...they know their cigars.

When I first came this site I was a cigars smoker who liked his sticks.....Now I am accused of having an obsestion. I spend more time on this forum then I should. When not reading the threads I am seaching info else where and looking for deals on sticks. You're in it now no looking back allowed.

Welcome and get on SMOKIN'

I spend so much time here that at night, my wife tells me that if I come to bed right now I'll get luck and I have to actually think if I should go or if anybody has something interesting to say.

Hello My name is Chris and I have a BAD problem.

Hello and welcome, a better more helpfull forum you'll not find anywhere else.
You must look into the 5 vegas Alpha line, it quite simply is a must smoke.
Regards,
Pic

Hi new guy!!and welcome

If you like the Ashton VSG try the Rocky Patel Sun Grown. I find it better than the Ashton. Its one of my all time favorites.

Welcome to the Forum! You've found a great bunch of people.
1. Get a big ( I mean BIG) Humidor.
2. Stick with the Ashton, Aged Maduro......Maybe a bit strong
3. Get some Puros Indios for every day smoke that won't break ya.
4. Get a BIG Humidor.
5. Watch for the Firday Deal. (Best buy it now deals on the net)
6. Don't ask Vince about rotation.
7. Don't be surprised at alot of answers to your questions.
8. Get a BIG Humidor
9. Go with the Humi Beads in your BIG Humidor.
10. Don't ask about Thomson Cigars.......Gezzzzzzzzzzz (trust me on this one)
11. When your new BIG Humidor arrives, Order another.
12. Don't tell any of this to your wife. ( If you have one)
13. If you don't have one, you may be better off (25 years, a bit bitter)
14. Have FUN.

Glad to meet ya!! :shock:

Welcome to the best cigar forum on the web. I've been here about two months and I still learn something new almost everyday.
Oh, by-the-way, get a BIG HUMIDOR. Trust me.