Spot in brain may control smoking urge..

G

WASHINGTON - Damage to a silver dollar-sized spot deep in the brain seems to wipe out the urge to smoke, a surprising discovery that may shed important new light on addiction. The research was inspired by a stroke survivor who claimed he simply forgot his two-pack-a-day addiction _ no cravings, no nicotine patches, not even a conscious desire to quit.

developing drugs that target the insula

Sounds good; but there is something not right in the phrase "damage to the brain". It just makes me a little leary. Luckily I do not crave cigarettes.

I want to smoke a cigar in the same way that i want to play a video game. It is clearly not an addiction. If i dont get to smoke a cigar for a few weeks- oh well. I dont have a nic-fit if i dont get to smoke, and the smell of cigarettes repulses me.

because my love of fine cigars is not an addiction would that change that spot in the brain or would i just not want to smoke cigars again?

i better not damage my brain (as if it isnt already) or i better not take that drug they are talking about.

This is probably a "wait and see" game, at present. Just the first reports on the subject. I am sure there will be volunteer test subjects, as with other drugs, for a pill or treatment to be developed, to centralize on this area of the human brain. As rabid as the politicians are about smoking, today, I would think the labs, Dr'(s) who come up with the first successful treatment, will be looked upon as nobel prize candidates. Look for a scramble of labratory research developments, to get underway, along with government funded research grants to be approved and deployed, over the next year or so. Just my insight on this.

Marine1 said:
As rabid as the politicians are about smoking, today, I would think the labs, Dr'(s) who come up with the first successful treatment, will be looked upon as nobel prize candidates.

We're talking about addiction as a whole here, not just smoking. Think of all the babies born addicted to crack. Not to mention all the addicts that end up homeless flooding the streets (of Seattle anyway) and draining resources. Or just people with addictive personalities who may be perfectly functional, but trade smoking for food for sex for work etc. and end up in generally compromised lives because of it. Lots of positive here. IF it can work right :)

Whatever eventually happens with this discovery, keep in mind they will be spending years of research to develop drugs that target these specific sites without damaging the brain. Theoretically, the effects should be reversible if the drug(s) are discontinued. This may help scientists better understand addiction and may help to provide more effective treatments for other conditions as well.

There is a new drug out that is working in the same repect as this with out the "damage" to the brain. This drug is out and being precribed, and is covered by most insurances. The drug is Chantix and it supposedly makes your brain forget the addiction, but you will still have to fight the habbit of smoking. I being a cigarette smoker would not have a problem with leaving the cigarettes behind it is the habit of smoking a cigarette that is a huge challenge for alot of smokers. I know that it is being used with good results but have not seen any reports on it's effecacy and succes results. I think Chris G. could tell you more about this drug then I can but I do believe that this is a break through with stopping smoking.

brennivin said:
Marine1 said:
As rabid as the politicians are about smoking, today, I would think the labs, Dr'(s) who come up with the first successful treatment, will be looked upon as nobel prize candidates.

We're talking about addiction as a whole here, not just smoking. Think of all the babies born addicted to crack. Not to mention all the addicts that end up homeless flooding the streets (of Seattle anyway) and draining resources. Or just people with addictive personalities who may be perfectly functional, but trade smoking for food for sex for work etc. and end up in generally compromised lives because of it. Lots of positive here. IF it can work right :)

:roll: