Straight Cut vs. Punch Cut

Joined Jun 2007
16 Posts | 0+
Northwest, IN
I used to only use a straight cut with a single angled blade. Then I picked up a Xikar double blade cutter. However, no matter how careful I was when cutting to not go past the cap I more often than not ended up with the wrapper unwrapping while I was smoking. I don't know about you guys, but I hate that feeling when I drawing down on a fine cigar. So as of late I've been using a punch cutter and have found the results to be much better than my straight cutters. I'd like to know what the rest of you have to say on this topic. Have you had similar results? Am I doing something wrong? Any input would be appreciated!

I use a .375 Holland and Holland case that I chamfered with one of my reloading tools. It cuts a nice neat hole and when it gets dull I just sharpen it with the same tool.

I pretty much just use a punch these days as I tend to get more consistently worry free cuts. I've had plenty of success with guillotines, but it's always taken a little effort.

And again ... show a double (or more) ceramic blade guillotine, and I may change my mind.

I punch most everything. If its a torp or something then I crush the end off with my xikar.

GaryK said:
Am I doing something wrong? Any input would be appreciated!

im not sure if you are doing it "wrong"

but, here is the quintessential double guillotine tip:
lay your cutter flat on a table. Stick the cigar in it head first. the space from the blade to the table is about what you should cut off.

that being said, I am nto a fan of the double guillotine cut, and for the same reasons why you arent. I use a punch whenever i can.

I'm not a xikar fan boy. I've also had quite a bit of trouble with mine. Your not alone...lol. I have the exact same exp using mine as what your describing and its very frustrating. Nothing like crushing the end of a really nice cigar with what it supposed to be the savior of cigar cutters.

Gee, I use my Xikar Xi2 almost exclusively. I do keep the blades clean and put a small drop of oil in the pivot point occasionally. Now and then I'll use my Xikar punch or multi-tool, but it's the Xi2 most often.

I have not had a problem with my Xikar since I started moistening the cap prior to cutting.