Sumatran Coffee. I Have Been Getting . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
exceptional Sumatran from Oren's here in NYC for at least a year. What I hear from others in the know, who run their own establishments, or are very well hooked in to the grapevine of the coffee world, it is indeed a good time for the variants of Sumatran coffee. If you haven't tried Sumatran yet, look out for some. It's great when it's good. There were a couple off years a while back, but good Sumatran is back and a "must buy."

Just picked up 1 1/2 lb two weeks ago. One of my Favs next to Kenya AA and Kauai Peaberry.

Mmm - Sumatran. In my top 5 along with Kenya AA, Tanzanian Peaberry, Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, and Indian Monsoon Malabar

• cybrus, tell me about the peaberry; where do you buy it and how much a pound?

I get it from a local roaster in downtown Pittsburgh - Nicholas Coffee for around $8.20 per pound. They do ship as well, though I'm not sure how expensive that would be.

Everything I've had from this place has been roasted well and the guys that work there are very knowledgeable about the coffees they roast and sell. I would highly recommend them.

• That's a lot better price than I had. I look them up and see what they say. Thanks.

One of my buddys sent me some Sumatran beans a while ago - it is really good!!

My sister got me some Sumatran beans for X-mas, roasted 6 days before...very good flavor....clean, crisp, creamy, wonderful ph (the way i make it anyway, i think you can start a car off the way some people make their coffee :D )

it pares wellwith a Rocky patel Sumatran edge & a highland malt

My local has been roasting some Sumatran Manheeling lately - what a fine cup of coffee that makes!!

The Sumatra thread will never die. Three years later, and it is still going strong!!