Sunday Morning Wake Up Call

Joined Jan 2005
2K Posts | 0+
So Cal
It's 10 minutes to 9 PST here and I was just shaken out of bed by a 5.6 earthquake! It's not the biggest we've had since I've been out here, but it was the closest. It's amazing to me how just before it starts, every bird outside takes to the sky. That was my only warning. Now there is a cacophony of car alarms and barking. I guess I'll be spending today checking for any structural damage. :roll:

...another day in paradise :lol:

interesting way to start the day off. Hopefully nothing bad has happened as a result

That's one thing about a hurricane, at least you get a warning, those earthquakes just get up and bite you in the ass. Hope everyone and everything over there is safe and sound.

Thanks for the good wishes. :thumbsup: Everything is fine. Living near a fault line we usually get 5 or 6 minor quakes per week. I compare it to waiting on a subway platform. Those usually just cause everything to vibrate, this one rocked everything back and forth. I had to replace almost 10 gallons of water in my big fish tank and it took me a while to get the water heater going again, but no property damage. I have some relatives from back east over and they didn't find it too exciting. They started freaking out like the end of the world was upon us, so I don't think they'll be visiting me while I'm at the culinary academy in San Francisco :lol:

But I still don't miss the hurricanes!

Ten gallons of water coming out of a fish tank in a place I was staying in as a result of a little vibration would scare the heck out of me, too. :bolt:

For some strange reason, I'd like to experience an earthquake. When is the best time to visit. I've been in mine explosions- Subway construction Wash, D.C.1973-1985. It was a blast. I always need new challanges and I have a major office in Southern California. What is the best time for me to visit.
I actually enjoy the wacked out way many in California think.
They are not affraid of anything.
Just me being me. I know act my age- no way. Always a new story to learn from.
I have a new one about James and the wheel barrell. Will post next week from Oklahoma- visiting my son for Fathers Day. Even at 34 years old he is too busy in his career to travel. I love and miss him dearly. Easy - Dad gets on a plane. If you want it- grab it.
Steaks on the grill- a glass of Oddfellows wine, and a dip in the pool. Bed by 9:30PM. Check out Oddfellows- a great red at only $18 a bottle. taste like a $50 dollar bottle.
I had the greatest week in my career- last week, and am proud to share it with my friends. I got a major tip that allowed me to make something happen. Where did I get the tip- from a pipelayer who makes $16.00 an hour. We had lunch on the job two saturdays ago from the roach coack. God bless the working man in the trench- Salt of the earth.I'm nothing without friends.
Malone
Malone

Malone, you are always full of great info. I've heard of that wine, so I'll have to try it out...it's Australian, right?

Now as far as the best time for earthquakes:

Smaller quakes occur 20-30 times a week throughout the year, but you won't necessarily feel them unless you are near a fault line (like I am). Of course the most famous and largest is the San Andreas, but there are several dozen more throughout the state. They've been able to predict these smaller quakes with decent accuracy by studying the geological history of the area. The big ones however, are anybody's guess. You just have to be in the right (or wrong) place at the right time :)

Providing you aren't in immediate danger, they are VERY exciting. I've been on a volcano numerous times during an eruption so an earthquake isn't that bad. I have to say that I enjoy the adrenaline rush of the bigger ones, and it usually lasts for 2-3 hours after the fact. This was the first one I've had to clean up after, even though it was only a little tank water and some picture frames.

Oh, and I'm still trying to get used to the way Southern Californians think...and drive!

Seems those quakes tend to happen in the early hours of the day. Is there any validity to that theory? Hope all is o.k. axe.

Everything is fine, thanks for asking. The majority of larger ones I've experienced have occurred between 2 - 9 A.M. local time, so that is an interesting theory indeed.

Lived in Cali as a kid, always seemed that the quakes happened in the early hours. In fact would awaken in the morning with pictures on the floor, that sort of thing. I was in Alaska in the late 70's and can remember a quake that was around noon.

Funny you mention the picture on the floor...that same thing happened to me about 2 months ago. It didn't even occur to me to check the U.S.G.S. website at the time, but that's probably what happened.

You're not kidding. Every morning I check that page to see if I missed any during the night. Looks like I picked a great spot to live. :lol:

Now I get a call from my sister who is a CSI down in Oceanside that there was just a 7.0 quake off the coast of Northern CA and the coast guard has issued a tsunami warning for the entire west coast :shock: WTF!!

edit: And naturally as soon as I hit submit, they rescind the warning :?

Take a look at how huge the 7.0 looks compared to the one I felt Sunday: http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/