Tanzania Peaberry

Joined Aug 2005
2K Posts | 0+
Gahanna, OH
Okay, I'm new to the coffee forum, but I know my brothers of the leaf will take care of me. I just purchased a cannister of TP last night and ground it at the store. I've heard good things about it but just wanted to get some further impressions from other members. I'm probably just going to make a cup or two at a time. Any suggestions?

Just wanted to revive this thread from the dead as i just bought a 3# bag of green tanzanian peaberry. I'll report my tasting after i roast my first batch.

I have a fresh Freedom Press of Tanzania Peaberry brewing right now. Excellent coffee, certainly one of the most aromatic coffees I've ever smelled, and great tasting, with an accent on caramel flavors. I purchased this latest pound at Oren's in NYC.

Tanzanian Peaberry is one of my favorite afordable coffees. Right up there with Kenya AA. Surprisingly, Costco has (or had) a 2lb bag for approx $12. Couldn't pass it up. It actually turned out quite well. The stuff from my local coffee shop is only slightly better for another $3 for 2 lbs.

I just picked up my first bag of Kenya AA. This is my first foray into the regional coffees so I hope it is a good one!

Mmm - Kenya AA! Definitely an excellent bean! One of my favorites.

Yup, that's another one of the all-time greats. Kenyan coffee in general, all the nuanced varieties, are great.

With less than a day out of the roaster this had a lot of body and character. Not as good as others that I have had but pretty nice. I am not sure of the quality of the bean that I bought; but its still real good coffee. Lots of flavour.

Two questions:

1. How far along did you roast it?

2. What others have you had that you thought were better? (Always looking for something new to try!)

I roasted it to full city; just before second crack.

The ones that I have had that were better was the one that Brenda sent i the coffee and cigar pass last eyar and the one that I sent out from the same pass. You recomended the roaster; I can't remeber their name though.

Ah - it was probably Nicholas Coffee. Yes, the ones you two sent in the pass were very good!

We should do another one like that (I'd have to send something from Nicholas Coffee though - don't roast my own yet)

I would prbably do the smae unless I can get this Tanzanian Peaberry to w3here I want it. I am not quite there yet. I may have to buy a coule of pounds from Sweet Maria's to send out.

all peaberry coffee is sweeter than the regular coffee from that region or even plant ,coffee beans grow back to back in a pod like pecans , you have a right side nut & a left side nut in the same shell, well when you get a peaberry you get one smaller bean in the pod instead of 2 BUt it gets all the taste & sweetness that 2 regular beans would get , if you think Kona is big bucks just look for Kona Peaberry , dammmmmmm ! I dont even want to think about JBM peaberry ~ Rolls Royce anyone !

I will be brewing a pot of Indian Malabar at the shop on Monday, with a pot of decafe Columbian later in the day, I have been drinking about 3 pots a day & I have noticed the slight tremble late in the afternoon, so it is back to the decafe for me in the afternoon, if I had some peaberry ground I would make that after all this peaberry talk but I dont have any , looks like a trip to the coffee roaster this week ! Peaberry the other white meat hahaha
Enjoy, Vince

I would say City++, not full city. I think Full city is too much for this little guy. Just past first crack. With the beans I have there is not much time between first and second crack, but the one you have may be different. Let your eye and nose tell you when its done.