Tea in Malaysia

Joined Jan 2003
4K Posts | 0+
South Carolina
When I was in Malaysia in ’89-’90 working on a film I drank a hot tea that was pretty good. When I used to walk from the apartment I stayed in to the studio I would stop at a stand that served, among other things, this hot tea in a tall glass. If I recall correctly it was called tea terrick (sp?). The tea had milk and sugar added to it and the guy at the stand would pour this concoction between two tall glasses, back and forth. Then he would pour it one last time into a tall glass and there you have it. The tea was actually quite good. It sure beat their soymilk in sandwich bags (with a straw tucked in). Back in the States I asked around but no one knew what kind of tea it was. One time in an Indian restaurant in Manhattan I asked about the tea. The waiter knew what I was talking about but they didn’t serve it.

In Malaysia a common tea beverage is Chai or Takkal Tea. It's a heavy black tea, flavorful and bright in color that is blended with ginger, cardommom, cinnamon, star anise and some black pepper. It brewed and strained, then blended with milk and sweetner (honey or suger) and usually served in a tall glass, warm but not too hot. Does that sound like it?

THAT'S IT!

The flavor is just like you describe. The tea was warm but not hot. You da man! :thumbsup:

I gotta try making it at home. They also had some foods there that I don't want to make at home. :bigpuke:

Fernando, if you figure out how to brew a good cup of chai post the recipe. I usually just buy a box Oregon Chai from the local World Market. It is a concentrate that you just add warm milk to. It is pretty good....better than Starbucks chai.

Thank you both for the help. Pretty soon I will be back to drinking that tea and writing screenplays. Life is good :thumbsup:

Fernando, You should write a screenplay that involves sportbikes that, unlike Biker Boyz, doesn't suck harder than Linda Lovelace (I am dating myself now).

Did you see that piece of crap?

Munch

Gotta tell you a Ducati story. Back many, many years ago when I still rode bikes, a friend traded his Ducatti for one of them monster MGs with the running boards et al. He pulled out of the driveway, ran the block to the light, stopped and stuck out his foot to rest on the pavement as always.

And, with all his friends and family watching, the bike continued over. He ended up flat on the street with what must have seemed like 3000 pounds of Guzzi lying on top of his leg, the other leg near vertical pointing at the sky and that host of friends and family watching, applauding and laughing.

Well John, being a young man of some worth (Dad left him a bundle) immediately sold the MG and bought one of those light weight Tour d'France type racing bikes. He bought all the skin type clothes, the aerodynamic helmet with the little built in mirror and even the fancy bike shoes with the clips that lock into the pedals so you can pull as well as push.

he came by the Dealership again to show us his new bike with all the neat things. When he left, he pedaled his way to that same intersection, once again with family and friends watching. As he reached the intersection he found that his feet were locked into the pedals and he couldn't get free.

Yup. Right on over, flat on the ground but this time both feet firmly attached to the pedals. we were all laughing so hard we couldn't do anything to help him.

Two days later John showed up at the dealership again, but this time with the original Ducati.

:D That would have been so funny to see. :D Someday I might share my motorcycle blunders with you all. :oops:

I had a roomate in college who was into road biking. He had all the super-ultra-mega bicycling gear. It was all good until he started to shave his legs; something about not hurting as much if he fell. Imagine coming home from class, opening the apt. door and there is your buddy standing over the bathtub shaving his legs. :shock: I laughed so hard I about fell over. He still gets pissed when I goof on him about it...again mumbling something about not hurting as much if he falls.

Munch – my friend saw the movie and filled me in on it. I came close to going to see it but after hearing about it I won’t waste my time.

Writing a better screenplay is the easy part. Finding a studio that would even think about producing it after such a flop as Biker Boyz would be the real problem.

Jar – my side is killing me from laughing so hard. That would have been a site to see. You should post a copy over in the motorcycle section.

Munch – motorcycle blunders? Hmmm, that would go well in the motorcycle section too :wink:
So, what did ya do? We won't tell 8)