Tea

Joined Sep 2005
847 Posts | 0+
Newport, RI
Who drinks tea when they smoke? If I'm not drinking a good bourbon or scotch, I'll occasionally drink tea in the evening with a cigar. Usually, I go with a breakfast blend or a green tea. I'm looking at branching out. Y'all gave such good suggestions in terms of beers, I'd like to see what good teas are out there. Thanks![/b]

Celestial Seasonings Green Tea. This is the best green tea I've found. I really haven't bothered to try other types of tea as this one really hits the spot for me.

sometimes i drink a sun brewed tea when i smoke. ... but only now and again.

Im trying to find a good brand of oolong (sp?) tea, any suggestions?

timjo1955 said:
Twinings Irish Breakfast is my favorite.

I've got to agree with you on this one. It is pretty exceptional in my book. I've also been known to drink meadow tea with certian cigars.

Craig

I don't do tea too often as I'm more of a coffee guy (Kenya AA!) but when I do, one of my common choices is Russian Caravan.

I drink tea for an afternoon pick me up; Green tea since it is high in antioxidents and doesn't get my stomach going as much as coffee does. I have tried it once with a cigar and thoguth it was a big mistake. I did not like the combo at all. I love coffee with my cigar. Especially expresso. Its so good.

I pride myself on knowing Tea. I have been drinking tea on a very regular bases for a little over 5 years. I am 20 years old and I live in Minnesota. Tea a cigars is not something that I find myself thinking of going together, until I saw this thred. Now I am not a huge fan of black teas but it seems to me that if you are going to be smoking anything with tea it has to be black. A nice Irish breakfast tea would do the trick. I always add a spot of 2% milk to the tea. Never uses half and half or cream. It weighs down the tea and takes away from the flavor of the tea. Putting milk in tea is great for taking that harsh bite out of the tea. especially if steeped to long. Sugar is also good. I myself find that if I am going to be sweatening my tea it is with honey. I think that a nice pairing of Oolong and a mild cigar would be great. Even for lighter cigars. Although I would try a white tea with a very mild cigar. But like I said I have not tryed tea and cigars yet. I will be this morning when I get off work. If there are ever any questions regarding tea I would be more then happy to answer them. Tea is my love. Cigars are something new that I hope will develope into a life long love affair as well.

I recently have been getting in to tea, since its less acidic than coffee. Anyone pair Earl Gray with a cigar? I tried it once with a Fire corojo, the cigar just over powered the tea. BTW Tea of the Republic is decent.

I Find that Earl Grey doesn't go so well with cigars. I really enjoy something closer to a Irish breakfast tea. It all depends on how you prepare your tea. With Black tea I always use boiling water. Others may dispute this and it's true that boiling water kills some of the health benifits to tea. However I find that it tastes better. Let your tea brew for 3-4 minutes, depending on how strong you want it. Only use 1 bag if you are brewing in a cup. If you are brewing in a pot use 1 bag per cup of water. i generally don't use sugar, unless I have a strange craving, but I generally take 2% milk. Milk helps alot to cut the harsh bite it you over steep.

I generally don't pair tea with a strong cigar. I find that the stronger the smoke the stronger the tea should be and to much strength is... well... to much. I like a good medium to mild with my tea.

I would also try looking around for diffrent brands of tea. If you can find loose tea that is most perferable, and tastes very different from bags. If you can find a good black tea with a malty quality you've hit gold. Try the Assam Breakfast tea from the Republic, if you can get ahold of it. I think that would be your best bet.

Happy Trails, hope it helps

Jac

Indeed it does, thanks for your suggestions. Im going to be ordering some tea soon so I will add the Assam Breakfast to my list =) Any really good red teas? I have tried safari sunrise it was ok. I think the red teas would be way to mild to pair with a cigar.

Thanks,
Mike

I haven't got much into the Rooibos (red teas), but in my exsperience i think that the flavor is to mild and watery to be paired with a cigar. Also, almost all rooibos tea is flavored. Even non-flavored rooibos has a fruity flavor to it. I would tend to stray away from pairing it with a cigar. On the other had if you can find a good green tea like dragonwell or a good oolong like a monkey picked, i think you will find that they do pair well with a mild cigar.

Check out

http://www.teavana.com/

They ahve a great selection.

Good luck.

I Usually Drink Tently British Blend. And this might sound crazy but I also like a Starbuck's Mocha Frapachino (the bottled...it's better than what they make in the store). The Starbucks is good with a nice maduro wrapper. Other than yhat I ocassionaly Drink an English Breakfast blend.