Thank Heavens for this place * Rant..Long...Sorry*

Joined Apr 2005
713 Posts | 0+
CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA!!!!
:soap:

I know looking through the history of these threads it has been mentioned in one form or another, but being fairly new to this forum, I thought I'd bring it up again, this forum ranks leaps and bounds above others I have been on!! I was just reading this excrutiatingly long thread on this other forum about policing each other and how many old timers had left because of the BS so on and so on. This drives me nuts, mostly because allot of the folks posting fall under the pot calling the kettle black category, but if I can't come to a forum for a very "adult" activity ( i use this term losely signifying that most of us do not truely start enjoying and understanding the complexities of cigar smoking until later. Age is not used here, just later in your personal smoking time.) I would expect tivial bickering, name calling, and genral bandstanding in a import car tuning forum or something, but not in a forum involving smoking cigars and fine drink. Am I off base here in saying that, for me, I enjoy a cigar because I can do just that! I don't just puff a cigar, tip the ash, smoke it for awhile and toss it, instead I toast the foot, I enjoy the aroma's from both the pre-lit cigar and the lit, I enjoy the flavors of the cigar smoke, and revel in the craftsmanship that goes into these tobacco products. Sure, there are instances where I don't do this, but for the most part that's why I pay good money for good quality sticks. My point is, if this is a pass time that for many centuries was deemed to be reserved for only the most "civilized" of men and women, which turn did we miss, and how did we end up in the Crapper?!

Bloof, Thor, Macallan, and all the other ladies and gentlemen on this board, thank you for proving that the congregating of common people over a common cause such as

cigar smoking and fine drinking is still "civilized" and can be some of the best times in memory.

I enjoy talking with everyone, and getting everyone's opinions, so, I hope I have not offended anyone, or made anyone think less of me with this rant, I'm just tired of listening to people yell and bicker about things they know even less about by the minute!

Thanks for the Rant time!!!

Smoke on....

Paul

:soap: :soap: :soap:

:cheers:

I'll drink for that. Bout to head out to the local shop with an old friend and light one up to good times in the future!

i have to disagree...

I am not one to act like an "adult" hardly ever :mrgreen:

Idiots will always be on forums until :pigsfly:

what you said basically sums up why i post here a lot and only occasionally on some other forums.

now i am off to have a cigar and enjoy my afternoon! :hypercolor:

Part of the difference with this forum and alot of others is that we have very active moderators who keep things running fairly smooth. We have rules laid out and we make sure they are followed.

Even though I am a non-smoker, I still read and follow the threads here and have learned alot about Cigars.

Enjoy the smoke Bildo...Wish I was there to smoke one with ya! I have a monte #2 just waiting for a tall rocks glass of Macallen 15 y.o.

We have some great improvements lined up for the forum. The Cigar Forum will be growing to include individual sub-forums. We'll also be adding a chat feature. I'm sure you'll like it.

In the mean time, thank you all for hanging out here and making this site your regular Internet stop.

Looking forward to any and all improvements, but even if there were no improvements, the people make the forum no matter which way you slice it. Moderation of course helps, but I would like to believe we have a classy bunch of people here. What I find even more funny is the fact that some of the members found this forum through the gun forums served on this same sight. Now these are people that closed mided folks look at as beer swillin, gun show attending, high school drop outs, with no redeeming qualities. I think this forum proves what I've known all allong....... IT'S TRUE!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Just Kidding!!!

I'm setting that monte on fire tonight!!!

Other than some of the forums like Iditarod and the Wheels section we have the BATFE covered --- Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives :)

To say we are politically incorrect here is putting it mildly!! ;)

This Is a great place, thanks to everyone here!!!

I'll have to have a good cigar tonight with all of you in mind!! :D

:thumbsup:

It was said some time ago that this image of a good cigar community must be maintained to not fall victim to the same pitfalls that kill other cigar forums out there. The moderator comment was correct but think of it on a larger scale. While none of us necessarily have "moderator powers" all of us need to be responsible for keeping things open minded and being accepting of participants reguardless of how many times they have posted, how old they are, what they like to smoke, etc. It is up to all of us to call out people who act inappropriately here and to not tollerate this.

I am reminded of a passage I read by Daniel Quinn (my favorite author who wrote "Ishmael") It is about tollerance and the escalation of conflict. If you get put in a pot of warm water and slowly raise the temerpature one degree each hour you will really never notice how hot it is getting becuase your body acclimates. Before you know it the water is boiling and you are in big trouble.

We need to be mindful of the temperature the water was when we all got it and keep it that way. Anyway, before this post becomes a book I would like to add that I have really enjoyed hanging with you guys and look forward to many great future chats.

Fernando, I look forward to the website developments you spoke of. Thanks for making this such a great place.

Well said, Paul. But really, I think the reason why this forum is so great is that everyone in here just simply respects each others' opinions, thoughts, etc. and are open to new ideas. It's the close minded who aren't willing to open up to new things and others' opinions and whom are apt to start conflicts and disagreements.

Also, I don't think it's because everyone is 'adult'-like but instead, I find we are a light-natured humourous bunch of people and we don't take every joke or humourous comment as a serious one. (for example, Bloof likes to poke fun and we all enjoy how it lightens up the forum)

I think that as long as everyone respects one another, this forum will indefinitely thrive.

Absolutely great thread to read! Everyone is right in tune with what I meant, and what's great is, everyone has their own take, but yet it still resembles the core of my rant. Many thanks to everyone, and I most definately look forwad to man more threads in the future!

- Paul

another part of this forum that i really enjoy is that i feel like im friends "in person" with a lot of the members here. if and when i finally meet you in person i feel like we have already been hanging out together for a while.
As others said we don't have the flame wars (ive never even seen one happen) because everyone understands that what others smoke/like is not their problem. it has nothing to do with you so why razz someone about what they like. everyone is entitled to like what they like here and thats why i entitle myself to like this forum so much :D

This is the first forum I've ever posted in for any subject. I've read many of the others but wouldn't dare post because I would be attacked for my ignorance. This is really a friendly bunch, and I enjoy reading, and occasionally posting. I really want to learn about fine cigars and I enjoy hearing about all of your lives. I do feel like it's a nice group of people here.

Trainer,
Glad you feel that way!! And we are definately glad to have aboard. I'm by far no expert, but I'll try and answer any question you may have, and, as bildo has mentioned, aside from a periodic razzing for fun, there is nothing to worry about asking "Dumb" question, that's for sure!

Monte #2 tastes mighty fine ladies and gents!! :lol: