The Classic Cask 17 Year Old Bourbon, and New Top 25. . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
So, a few weeks ago I order The Classic Cask 18 year old bourbon, and a couple other favorites from . . .

http://www.shoppersvineyard.com . . .

and I get an e-mail from one of their reps telling me that the 18 year old isn't around, The Classic Cask is now offering the 17 year old, and although it's more, he'll honor the 18 year old's price. So, what am I going to say, no? And by the by, they're not charging any more for the 17 year old, even though I was told it should be more, and they're still carrying the picture of the 18 year old, even though they are listing it as the 17 year old.

And that's what I got. And funny, Master Whiskey, 13th Dan (but not Fogelberg) TOLD me recently the 18 year old would soon be gone, and I might have trouble getting it. Hmmmmmm, is it any wonder I call him Scotchland Yard's Whiskey Dogg Detective?

He told me the 22 year old rye would become hard to get and disappear, and . . .

PRESTO!!! It disappeared and the price on the 21 year old has gone through the roof. He told me that the Stagg 2005 would be good, and it WAS!!! :eek:mg:

So, I told Shopper's Vineyard to ship me the 17, and it's time for a review. This one, unlike the Stagg 2005 does have bold flavor, but it too fades quickly. While more complex than the Stagg 2005, it carries the disappointment of costing even more and still not being exciting.

I must clarify something I said in my recent post about the Stagg 2005. When I said "lose points" I didn't really mean that I place a bourbon or rye lower when it costs a lot but doesn't deliver big time. I place a spirit according to what I like, and what I don't like, but might be willing to acknowledge in terms of complexity, etc., in making an objective assessment. When a bottle "loses points" with me, it just means as far as future purchases go based on price.

While I thought the Stagg 2005 was great stuff, I'm not paying around $55 for another one, when I can get a bottle of Baker's or Knob Creek for a lot less. Or, if I wanted to go with something I don't like nearly as much as a Stagg 2005, but was only going to spend about $20 on, say, by purchasing a bottle of Fighting Cock, it's an "I win" situation. Even though I might like the Stagg 2005 more, what's the point of paying $55 for No. 17, when I can get a bottle of something that would be at No. 26 for $20 or less?

:duh: :duh: :duh:

Just to clarify what I meant about "losing points."

So, The Classic Cask 17 year old bourbon. The mysterious label made by who knows anything and distributed by a major international player in the spirits business, particularly single malt scotches. Well, we all know what I thought of the 20 year old bourbon, which kicked Booker's down to No. 4 on my list, and we know that I thought the 18 year old was fine stuff, but decidedly less so than the 20, but still placed it at a very high No. 8.

I'm sorry to say that one year less of age completely takes this bourbon out of the running for a major position. It's great, but not exciting. And for a "walk-out price" of $63.32 ($58.99+shipping), it's just not worth thinking of another bottle. And once again, as with Van Winkle/Weller whiskies, and as with previous versions of this label's rye's, not to mention Jack Daniel's and Jim Beam Black's proof busting down from an original 90 to 86, we see very ugly things happening in the American whiskey business.

Folks, we're living in interesting times, and despite this "BOOMING ECONOMY", some of us folks still aren't doing that well. And of course, with me and many other people, sometimes not being more upwardly mobile is, at least in part, our fault. But I'm getting a little sick and tired of paying $40-80 for a bottle of bourbon or rye that just isn't cutting the mustard. I'm beginning to get a little Bada Bing Bada Boom-ish about this money I'm spending for unexciting whiskey.

And so, purchases like this, with some financial hardships over the past couple of years, are going to get even rarer. As frugal as I've been over the past couple of years, I'm going to get more so. There isn't much I haven't seen or done in the short six or so years since I first tried bourbon. I have another in the tasting department right now, which I paid a "walk-out price" of $37.92 for. More about that on it's own thread.

I've now tried 58 bourbons, including some of the world's finest, and one overly expensive, but exotic and "worth having once in a lifetime" bourbon. I'm getting a little tired of spending $40-80 to try every offering coming down the pike with a famous, reliable pedigree, extremely old age, accompanying high price, and then thinking I could have bought a Knob Creek, a Baker's and gotten CHANGE!!!!! :evil:

The Classic Cask 17 year old bourbon has bold but monotonous flavor, perhaps at first overly woody, without being backed by anything interesting. It has a long finish, with occasional faint traces of caramel, and mineral water at times. On certain sips, it actually seems to slide into orange marmalade notes, but only for fleeting moments. Perhaps it should have been bottled stronger, being only 90.8 proof. I have bottle No. 590 out of 600 from Batch No. GL-107, Distilled 1985 and Bottled 2002.

It is easy to figure out where to place this. This is slightly better than the Stagg 2005, but I can't place it above the Old Rip Van Winkle 15 year old 107 proof, I just can't. This is the new No. 17, with the Stagg 2005 slipping to No. 18, and now Blanton's brings up the rear at No. 25, no shame considering I've tried 58 bourbons.

Top 25 Bourbon List

1. A.H. Hirsch Reserve 16 year old
2. Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 year old
3. The Classic Cask Single Batch 20 year old
4. Booker's True Barrel
5. W.L. Weller Wheated 19 year old
6. Distiller's Masterpiece I - Cognac Finish
7. Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year old
8. The Classic Cask Single Batch 18 year old
9. George T. Stagg 2002, 137.6 proof
10. Baker's
11. George T. Stagg 2003, 142.7 proof