THE NUMBER ONE BRAND IN THE LAND

Here's an excerpt from that link:

"It does not offer bold flavors or bright highlights, nor is it designed to."

That says it all for me.

There is a reason why it sells so well. It is never bad, I don't believe that they are ever great either. You get a good quality product that does not overpower but does not offer much either.

I have been doing allot of study on cigars of late. I have ordered quite a few and have gone for a drive and bought some. The more people I speak to the more I come to the conclusion that what others think is nothing more then a recommendation at best. I had a very nice cigar while in Canada that you cant have here not anything near cheap but I wanted to try it was ok to my taste. So far I like Hoyo de monterry and Romeo y Julieta aniversario. I will continue to try more and see what I like.

PS thx for all the people who recommended ones for me to try.

Travis

i once read somewhere that macanudos are like the budweiser of cigars. you always go back to bud. you may stray for a moment but you always go back.

i agree in a way. It is like budweiser. Boring and every day. Its never BAD. but it is never amazing. I want a cigar that is more than consistant. i wanty a cigar that has personality. macs dont do that for me.
So while not bad, they arent my choice.

... mainly because they arent great.

The Macanudo Cafe Hyde Park was my cigar of choice for many years. I haven't had one in a very long time. Think I'll go grab one tonight...

The only Macanudo I ever tried was a Gold Label.

Yeah, it was mild and had no character, yet it was just ok. It's a good cigar to give out to those who never smoke anything, and just want to be "one of the guys" sometimes, without regurgitating the prior meal.

Would I smoke another Macanudo? Only if nothing else was available, and it's free. No wait.... I think I'd save it and give it out with the Swisher Sweets and White Owls in the next PIF. :lol:

This doesn't really surprise me. It saddens me a little that the people that smoke these do so almost religiously and may never be turned on to better and more flavorful cigars, but doesn't surprise me.

The other article, I've known about for some time and doesn't surprise me either. Kinda saddens me as well that they would even call swishers and grenadiers by the term cigar though.

Kuzi16's recollection of an article calling in to play a Budweiser analogy is quite right. That's it in a perfect nut shell.

This is what really surprises me though in the second artical...I never would have guessed those percentages

• 97% of all cigars sold worldwide are machine-made and only 3% are premium handmades.

• 72% of the monetary sales volume comes from mass-market cigars and just 28% from premiums.

All that means is that there are more cigars for those of us who apreciate a little more complexity in what they smoke.

If someone likes Macanudos, more power to them, but I will try to convert them to something better if I can.

Just my 1.70 cents worth.

I've only tried a few Macanudo and maybe I'm the lucky one, but I never got one with a good draw. The last one I had I cut the cap entirely off to try and get a good draw from it. I gave up and got a cusano.

WOW yea those percentages are crazy. Phillies, White Owls and Dutch Masters definetly have their place. That place is in the hands of someone who intends on splitting them open and dumping out the filler...

lwrdimage said:
WOW yea those percentages are crazy. Phillies, White Owls and Dutch Masters definetly have their place. That place is in the hands of someone who intends on splitting them open and dumping out the filler...

Exactly, those machine made cigars cost less than a buck and are sold everywhere. The reason stated above is why machine made cigars are such a large percentage.