The - Salt Test 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined Aug 2004
2K Posts | 1+
Cigars taste best when they are kept at the right RH.
RH stands for Relative humidity.
It is important to test your hygrometers for accuracy.
This is done by something called a salt test.
Salt test is pretty simple to do, here is how I do it:
Take a plastic bottle cap and fill it with Kosher salt.
Add just enough water to make a paste.
I use Distilled water, the same water I use for my humidor.
Place to bottle cap in a glass jar or Tupperware container.
(I have heard of people using ziplock bags{doubled} but find it harder that way.
Place your Hygrometer in the container and let sit over night.
Salt gives off an RH of 75%
The next day you look at the reading on your Hygrometer and see how close it is.
Make a note - or + what is needed to read 70% and your done.
I like to keep my cigars at 63%-64%
I smoke mostly Cuban cigars and find they smoke better at the lower RH.
I know 70% is recommended in most places, I find it to high & IMHO
My cigars smoke better at 64%
Hope this helps you smoke better tasting cigars!
CC

Great info CC.
I'm gonna pass this on to my brother. He got his first Humador for Christmas this year.

No sure?
I was always told to use Kosher Salt?
I guess you could try both and see if it comes out the same?
But my little Jewish mother always used Kosher Salt :roll:

Works with Un-Kosher<<< ( I dont know if thats a word), salt too. Both analogs read 70, and my digital went LOCO, it might have winter fever. Thanks again

I added a small cup of coarse ground salt to each of my humidors. I'll be damned! Both of them are now at identical RH's! I think the 1/2C of salt in each helps to even out the environment along with the Cliammax media...which I am STILL waiting for from the supplier

Switchblade45 said:
I added a small cup of coarse ground salt to each of my humidors. I'll be damned! Both of them are now at identical RH's! I think the 1/2C of salt in each helps to even out the environment along with the Cliammax media...which I am STILL waiting for from the supplier

You put salt in your humidor with you cigars?????????????????
Not sure if that is such a good idea??????????????????????????????

why? i cant imagine the salt would affect anything, it would have to be micronised enough to be air born to get on the cigars. unless salt gives off some kind of chemical gas or somthing.

i have a question about the salt test. just how wet should the salt be? i assume wet enough to stick together is the right ammount. i had it start puddling up a little so i just added some more salt, now i stir it up with a toothpick and it looks a little like white rice. over night its sitting at 77% im gonna leave it for another night and see if thats how it stays. is this about what it should be? i had it too wet and it went up to 85% in a couple hours.

It works! I tested my new digital thermo/hygro over night using a large gatorade cap and the 2 baggy method. The room RH was at 55% After 3 hours in the test it was at 75% and when I woke up...right on the money...75% Stirring the salt/diswater and poking holes into the paste will help the test run faster and more effecient. Give it a whirl if you get a hygro. its worth it. I am going to run it a second time tonight just to double check.

jihiggs said:
i have a question about the salt test. just how wet should the salt be? i assume wet enough to stick together is the right ammount. i had it start puddling up a little so i just added some more salt, now i stir it up with a toothpick and it looks a little like white rice. over night its sitting at 77% im gonna leave it for another night and see if thats how it stays. is this about what it should be? i had it too wet and it went up to 85% in a couple hours.

It should be a thick paste.

I live in a dry climate (Alaska)

Does keeping the salt in the humidor inorder to keep the RH higher hurt the cigars?

Right now my humidor is at about 40! :shock:

S-10 Maniac said:
I live in a dry climate (Alaska)

Does keeping the salt in the humidor inorder to keep the RH higher hurt the cigars?

Right now my humidor is at about 40! :shock:

I would not put salt into a humidor!
If your really that low and have trouble keeping the RH up
I'd look into a "Cigar Oasis" it will keep you right on the money!

With 2-Way humidity like the Boveda packs. Just put one in a tupperware with your digital hygro. The new packs can save some work and help newer guys get better results quick.

You can get a pretty good read at 65% 68% 72% or whatever pack you buy. (like $3) It's a better method if your digi happens to be off a few points ...you will know exactly what to add or subtract (on the hygro) to get 65% or whatever you keep. You are not likely looking for a 75% read anyway.

Save the salt for the edge or your glass. :wink:

when you put the cap in a jar do you put a lid on the jar? Or do you leave it open?

You can also use a ziploc baggy in a pinch. Just makes sure that is had plenty of air in it when you close it up and also make sure that the hygrometer doesn't touch the salt.

OK.... so do you have to use special salt? I have been trying this with reglular table salt, and can't seem to get anywhere close to 75%...have tried three different digital hygrometers so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.