The - Salt Test 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
how much salt, to get it to work i usually need to use like half a cup worth and put it in a tupperware container.

lol.. well, maybe that is the problem. I thought the instructions said to just use the cap off a plastic bottle full....So I have not used anywhere near 1/2 a cup. So regular salt is ok, then?

yup, regular salt. i think that small ammount of salt just takes longer and needs to be a smaller area. i just pour the salt in the tupper ware container and slide it off to one side. then drop water in on the middle of the pile till it absorbs all the water to the edges.

OK I am salt testing (with more salt) my two hygrometers (same container) it has been only about 4 hours, and one reads 71%, the other 68% are these normal variants from the benchmark of 75%? I am not conserned with the 3% difference between hygrometers, I just want to make sure that I actualy have 75% RH in the container in order to determine my + or - on for my humidors. (I am going to leave them over night to make sure they have stabilized)

I am not even sure this made sense to me, I hope you know what I mean :duh: :duh:

you need to leave it be for a couple days and try to avoid temp swings.

Usually Over night will work.
If your digi if off, put a small sticker on it that say +3 or -3 or however much it is off.

I also wanted to say - I have always used a bottle cap with a tablespoon of salt.
Should be enough, but the container has to have a tight seal or this won't work!

I like a glass jar or something your can read the digi without opening the container.

I have just finished doing this test on my hygronometers, and everything checked out okay. The last time I did it, my salt container was not big enough, adn the test was faulty. Conclusion: Use a larger salt container to assure proper humidification of your test. There you go!

So by adding more salt, and therefore more water, are you making the test more accurate, or are you actually increasing the RH and changing the test standard?...hhhmmmm, makes me wonder.

I believe the larger surface area increased the speed of satuation, therefore making the test more acurate over the same period of time. The first time I did it the hygronometers were all over the place at 24 hours. This time, they were all dead on at same time period.

More salt, and therefore more water, doesn't change the equilibrium point of hydrated salt. (as long as you get the consistency right to begin with) It can help because if you start out with a really dry environment, or a lot of air in your system, there is enough water to humidify the air without drying the salt out of proper balance. And you were exactly right: more surface area = faster equilibrium. Thank you to Dr. Morrison, my Statistical Mechanics and Thermodynamics Prof. If you care, the differential equation is referred to as "the chemical potential" and governs many slow reaction rates.

soupwell said:
Thank you to Dr. Morrison, my Statistical Mechanics and Thermodynamics Prof. If you care, the differential equation is referred to as "the chemical potential" and governs many slow reaction rates.

What a coincidence, I started with a Thermodynamics major, but switched to underwater basket weaving. The training I received in holding my breath has been invaluable in my cigar smoking today. It's amazing what we all bring back from college.

Somehow, Soupwell - I think your info will be more reliable than mine. Especially since it's been a long time since I was in college. My yearbook picture was in the bible.

I got my new humi, I wanted to salt test ty hygrometers one that came with my humi (dial) and the one that I am going to use (digital) while the digital read 70 the dial read 45,,,how can they sell something that is that far off.

Chris:

Is there a screw on the back to adjust it? Sometimes it is just out of whack when it gets sent out. But I never rely on (like everyone else here!)

Well Castle,

I bought the kosher salt at Wal-Mart, some distilled water, and my new prometheus digital hygrometer. Is already up to 61%. Will see later this am.

Thanks again for the education,

Cutter

I have an analog dial hygrometer. I salt tested it. I got it to 75%.
I stopped fussing.
i know its not 100% but nothing in life is 100%
as long as its between 67ish and 72ish im good. I got into cigars to enjoy a smoke now and then and to relax. RELAX, not fuss with if my humidity is exactly 70, or 71, or 68. who cares. as long as they arent dry and as long as no eggs hatch im doin fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.