The worst news ever

Joined Jul 2005
3K Posts | 0+
MI
I have debated for a while if I was going to let you all in on the news I received a couple days ago. I wasn't going to say anything, But since I consider you all some great friends, I really need some words of encouragement. The only one I have said anything to is Macallan.

I found out my Dad has cancer. He is only 67 years old, and in great health. We found out on Thursday when he had his annual physical. They found a mass on his right lung, and since then, he has been through all of his tests and CT scans. He has smoked for over 55 years. I think I am past the denial stage and anger, and on to the acceptance stage. I can't help but think back to all of the things I have learned from this great man. He is on the up and up, very optimistic, and has a laid back attitude about it. I am scared as shit. I just don't know what to do. I am sorry to bring this bad news, buy I consider you guys all good friends, and its the one way I can get this off of my chest.

When I first found out I swore to God I was going to sell every cigar and pipe I have in this house........... I am still thinking about doing an auction for the 800+ cigars I have with the humidors, and my 44 pipes with tobacco......

Ryan:

First of all - your dad will be in my prayers. I know it's a tough time - I've been there, but your dad's attitude makes a huge difference and it seems he is already optimistic - which is half the battle.

Keep your chin up and let me know if there is anything that you need.

= Kevin

I am very sorry to hear this.
I am glad to think you think so much of this group to tell us, I cannot imagine the courage it took.
You and your family will be in my prayers.
As for the cigars and ect., that must be a personal choice.
Do not let your anger make it for you.

God Be With You And Your Family,

Curt

Very sorry to hear that. reminds me of when my mom called to tell me she had breast cancer. it is a horrible moment. The technologies are terriffic today and the survior rates are excellent. My mom is on her 11th year as a cancer survior. God willing some day you'll be able to say my dad is on his 11th year too. Good luck, and God bless. gary

Capt, I'm sorry to hear about your father, I know what you are going through, my family went through it with my dad when he was 53, the treatment almost killed him, but he had a strong will to live and we will be celebrating his 70th birthday in a couple of weeks. Don't give up hope, your father sounds like a strong man, there will some rough times ahead, a positive attitude is very important, your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

If there is anything you need or I can do, I'm only a couple of hours away, don't hesitate to ask.

My wife's grandmother was diagnosed with stomach cancer and had her stomach removed. She is getting by. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

sorry to hear capt, i will be praying for your family. as far as blaming the cigars, if they are all that bad as they say, you would think that it would have happend an awful lot sooner than 55 years. could have been anything or nothing, they dont have a clue what causes cancer, they just keep blaming anything they can find so they dont look stupid.

So Sorry to hear this news Capt. , You did say he was in good shape & that is a plus, the treatments will take there tole on his health but I pray along with the rest of the guys & gals here that he will recover . the rate of survival is going up every day, good health & prayer can go a long way .

Sorry to hear about this, brother.
I've had it hit my family 3 times in my life.
The first with my mother, breast cancer. 12 year survivor
Second with my aunt. Started with breast cancer then spread.
Third with my uncle. Colon cancer. Had surgery to remove the tumor and had complications. The surgeon clipped his intestinal lining and bile filled his body. He passed a few days later..

I know what you're feeling, Ryan and if you need ANYTHING, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Semper Fidelis.

Captain, I have not met you, but I feel I know you through this forum, and as far as I am concerned you are a brother and I share your pain. It took a lot to share with us, but now that you have, I hope you know that we are all now carrying this burden with you, and that it will be easier for you. Have faith my friend, it can carry you in the darkest times, and whatever happens we are all here for you.

Ryan, thanks for sharing this with us. Just remember that we are all here for you and that we will being going through this with you as well. If there is anything at all that you need, just let me know. I will be keeping your father along with you and the rest of your family in my prayers.

Just remember, keep your head up brother, we're all here for ya.

Ryan,

You and your family are in my prayers. Please, if you need anything......let me know.

Scott and Megan

Just have hope and faith its all in his attitude. If he wants to be here he will as long as he has a loving caring family at his side he will fight it off. I just lost my grandfather a little while ago and he lost his will if he was still here today i would have moved in with him to take care of him but hes not. All you need to do is be by his side and let him know that no matter what you will take care of him untill he is better. In front of him you need to be strong and just let him know that in your mind you know he will be here for many years to come.

Oh man. Thoughts and prayers.

Your family needs you big time. Dig deep brother.

Capt,

I am sorry to hear about this. I have been thinking about you since you told me. Hang in there, at times like these he and probably a lot of other people are going to be relying on you. I lost my dad when I was 15 and i think it is the toughest thing. Stay strong. We are praying for you.

That's terrible news. My thoughts are with you and yours. Just like everyone said, be strong, for that strength will carry on to your dad. Willpower is everything.