Tip on lighting a cigar!

Joined Oct 2013
6 Posts | 0+
Minnesota
This may already be a no-brainer. When you light a cigar, dont burn the hell out of the tip. You dont want the end in flames. Otherwise your cigar will taste like ash and lose the sweet flavor profile. Light it slowly. It makes a huge difference. I take about 30 sec to light mine.

I'm not so careful about lighting, but I do purge a couple of times in the process. The experts say to toast the foot before lighting.

I'm not so careful about lighting, but I do purge a couple of times in the process. The experts say to toast the foot before lighting.

I used to light a cigar by just holding the flame directly on the foot and drawing air through.

I saw some videos on youtube and read some threads about lighting a cigar. And then I saw some people recommended toasting the foot.

How long do you toast for ? I have been trying about 20 seconds on just the side of the foot. Then draw air once its about 1/4 of the way lit.

I toast as well. Never timed it but sometimes the lighter will get pretty hot.

DL

Same here, but generally only with better cigars. I follow the toast with a purge, then light and perhaps another purge or two.