Today's smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined Oct 2012
1K Posts | 45+
Connecticut
Rainy miserable day, but I decided to smoke a Gurkha monogram after lunch. I had one a month or two ago and wasn't impressed. Today's was much better and I'm glad I have a few more. After dinner I thought about another, but decided on a pipe instead.

Funky sweet taste in the mouth today so I tried not to smoke anything good. It worked out well. Started with a VSOP CT toro and ending with a Padilla fuma torpedo, they both seemed good-a first for the Padilla (3rd attempt). Had a nice home made beer my neighbor brought over to finish off the second cigar-very tasty.

Had a third after dinner- El Faro robusto- not much to talk about-got a friend that loves them tho.

Last edited:
Still dying for a good cigar, but Monday was a busy day and lots of yard work to do. Decided to try a JR alternative to A.Fuente Canone while raking leaves in the afternoon. Long cigar and not bad at all. There was still some time before sunset, so I had another Padilla Fuma torpedo to end the day.

Started the day early, Raking leaves and smoking a habano toro VSOP. Not bad, but tough to smoke and rake. After lunch, I tried my first Baccarat, a rothschild. Mild and appeared to be sweetened, but not good enough to call be back for another try. Finally I decided to break out the heavy stuff, so I selected a Gurkha Legend Vintage 2001 Double Rothschild (6-1/2 x 58 ) a tasty medium to full bodied smoke. Only downside was an uneven burn- glad I have 4 more.

What part of Conn do you live?
I have family in the Hartford area

Started the day with a Don Oswaldo churchill--a work cigar that has been sitting for a couple of years- not bad. Then I fired up a Gurkha Black Dragon presidente-a bit strong and not as flavorful as I had hoped. A good smoke anyway. Finished the yardwork with a couple more Don Oswaldos.

Started the day with an Obsidian robusto. Perhaps a little strong for a morning smoke but it mellowed and got a little tasty in the last half. I've a couple more which I may try if the weather permits before spring.

Managed to get in a quick smoke this rainy morning with a Fuente Breva followed by an afternoon work smoke with a Muniemaker long---not bad, but downhill from the Breva.

This weekend I smoked a La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero on Saturday night and a La Flor Dominicana Air Bender on Sunday night. Both were exceptional cigars. LFD is actually my favorite NC cigar.

DL

Had a Nub CT 460 yesterday and today moved into the cheap seats with a Vista De Cuba toro (by Oliveras). I smoke a five pack as work cigars a couple of years ago and thought they were OK, so when I spotted one I thought why not.
Started off very mild with subtle flavor and picked up some strength and flave around half way through. Not bad at all, and I think a bargain at the buck a stick price I paid.

Gurkha Evil toro today, not bad-better in the last half. Decent flavor. Got 4 more to judge.

Pinar Del Rio Habano sun grown liga cubana #5- big name, not a great smoke. Started a bit harsh with no flavor, but picked up a little flavor about 1/3 in. I think I smoked another PDR sun grown and also was unimpressed.

Last night I smoked a Perdomo Habano maduro. I love these cigars but this one was loosly filled. It was a robusto and I smoked it in roughly 45 minutes. Surpisingly it didn't burn hot.

DL

Opened the day with a Quorum toro, definitley crap. Next was a Hoyo de Monterey toro-not bad, but lacking in flavor and strong. Followed that with an Empress of the DR churchill-barely OK-smoked some torpedos of the brand which are worse. Final smoke was a Don Augusto toro-started out nice and quickly went south. Maybe I'll get to smoke something good tomorrow.

After an early Turkey dinner I fired up a Gurkha Centurian Perfecto. Very nice cigar, held the ash for 3", got flavorful after the first inch. Late afternoon I had a Wolf's Head churchill-serviceable.

Last edited:
Todays smoke was a Gurkha Royal Brigade toro. Nice, but had some wrapper issues and needed to be drawpoked. Flavor took almost 2 inches to hit, but it was good. Even after poking the draw was a bit strained. Perhaps the next four will be better. Finished the day pulling and digging carrots in the garden with an Empress of the DR churchill work cigar.

Gurkha Empire Series III today. Maduro wrapper with large veins, drew well and burned even. Not any flavor to speak of until about 2' in, then only a mild flavor for the rest of the cigar. Not a bad smoke, but perhaps not as good as the #IV or V.

Yesterday:

Don Lino Gordito torpedo- so-so
Park Avenue churchill- Mild with a mild pleasant flavor
Gurkha Widow Maker churchill- mild with a pleasant flavor

Today:

Gurkha Empire I - decent cigar smoked unrested and inclement conditions (light snow). I'll need to try a couple more.

Had a couple Padilla Fumas before they changed the bands and came out with other wrappers.

ENjoyed the robusto, but I don't smoke often enough to smoke the fumas They would be a good mooch cigar for my friends though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.