Today's smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Las Cabrillas is a familiar stick. Bought a bunch of them for a friend that really liked them. Tried one of the larger ones (balboa) and found it to be not as good. The Cortez (robusto) was just OK and not something on my buy list.

Tony,

No disagreement there. I took a BOTL up on his offer to clean out his yard gars stash of many years in his shed drawers and in return I had to pay shipping. Definitely nothing to write home about, yard gars plain and simple. Which since I was low and didn't mind them was a win win for all involved. I received about 30 sticks which allows me to smoke at a lesser quality, but they were about 32 cent a stick. Which is good enough to hold me until I can afford better down the road. But, once their gone, I won't touch them again.

Hoyo de Monterrey Dark Sumatra

Attachments

• 20160913_192309.jpg
    20160913_192309.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Fonseca 1907 toro

Now I only smoked one of these and it was awful. I recently smoked a Fonseca Cubano Limitado Robusto that I had after I saw it advertised for sale somewhere. Best Fonseca so far, but still not good enough for the asking price IMHO. FYI the Arana is barely smokeable.

C&C Rollback Connecticut

So how did you like it ? I recall smoking some C&C branded cigars, but not that particular one. A buddy of mine was buying them for a while. They were OK, but I never looked to buy any for myself.

So how did you like it ? I recall smoking some C&C branded cigars, but not that particular one. A buddy of mine was buying them for a while. They were OK, but I never looked to buy any for myself.

A hard pass. I only purchased because the maduros have been discontinued. Sadly, it was bitter and harsh. So, again is give it a hard pass.

Attachments

• 20160926_014316.jpg
    20160926_014316.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 0
Hoyo De Monterrey Excaliber

Attachments

• 20160929_203620.jpg
    20160929_203620.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 0
Ok Groucho - the Hoya is an old school ok smoke, but the Fonzy 1907 sucks big time. AS to Fonseca= the Cubano Limitado Robusto has some promise and the Fonseco Exclusivo Robusto has some too. I've smoked 6 different Fonsecas and those are the only 2 that were even close to good. I have an idea that they also are involved in the Quesada brand, and I have a couple of those that I haven't yet smoked. If you are going to go old school, pick El Rey del mundo and put them away for a few years rest - I had two put away, one that plumed and was a fantastic smoke and another which has not changed a bit and still hangs in the humidors(decadent dozen).
The annoying thing is that once you find a good cigar, either it becomes unavailable or the blend changes so much that it's no longer very good. I never seem to assemble many of the good ones because I like to let them sit a while before I smoke 'em. As an example, I smoked a great cigar and gave one to a cigar buddy on a recent vacation trip. We both loved the cigar, but it is no longer available. I had smoked one when they were still available, but before I could really stock up, they vanished. Now I have about 18 of these beauties left and no way to restock. Very frustrating !
On a sad note, I had an old Gurkha legend toro that had lots of plume and I finally smoked it last week- it was not at all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.