Tubed Cigars

Joined Feb 2007
120 Posts | 0+
Atlanta, GA
What are the benefits of a cigar being stored in a glass or metal tube over the cello wrapper? I understand that a tube is more aesthetically pleasing.

Also how should tubed cigars be stored are the caps suppose to be removed once placed in your humidor or left on?

Thanks

i dont know about the aesthetics of it...

i like the way cigars look while being smoked.

Tubes do have some advantages and some disadvantages. the biggest advantage is that they are added protection. The biggest disadvantage is that they take up more room in the humi.

some will argue that since the cigar came in a tube that it should stay 100% inside the tube with the cap on and the cap should never even be taken off to look at the cigar. That cigar has its own RH and atmosphere in there and maybe a bit of cedar that is made to age the cigar in a very specific way. some people wont even buy one with a broken seal.

Some will argue that a cigar will not age as fast in a tube because ther is no air exchange what-so-ever. So if you are looking to age them, discard the tube.

I, on the other hand, am in that gigantic grey area between those arguments.

i believe that the tube and cedar are there for a reason... but i like my cigars at 65% RH not 70%. To ensure this, when i get a tubed cigar i take the cap off and leave it open for a good 3-4 weeks. After that i put the cap on and let it sit in my humi until that cigar is ready to smoke.

so... what, in my opinion, should you do?
do whatever the heck you want, just keep it in your humi because you cant prove that any container is air tight by looking at it.

Reactions: 1 users
kuzi16 said:
you cant prove that any container is air tight by looking at it.

And its a rare day that any non-medical container is 100% hermetically sealed air tight. So ... I take the caps off. The air in my humi is "right". So with the caps of, the cigars will be "right". I leave 'em in the tube for protection/seperation.

IMHO - Tubed cigars should remain tubed for at least 5 years.
10 if they are strong cigars.
Some of the finest cigars I have ever smoked were 10 + years old
& aged in tubes.
If your not going to wait (even 1 year) it doesn't matter!

The only purpose tubes serve for me is to keep the cigar protected, and somewhat rh balanced while riding around in my pocket. Although I will admit that a nice glass tube ala' the Punch Rare Corojo El Doble is asthetically pleasing. I'm still a bigger sucker for a coffin though. :wine:

CastleCrest said:
IMHO - Tubed cigars should remain tubed for at least 5 years.
10 if they are strong cigars.
Some of the finest cigars I have ever smoked were 10 + years old
& aged in tubes.
If your not going to wait (even 1 year) it doesn't matter!

CastleCrest, do you mean remain in the tube never opened or opened and acclamated?

caped.

the cap allows less air to get to the cigar, therefore slowing sown the aging process. It is a said that a cigar that is aged slower is a much better cigar. But if we are talking smoking in a year it is not worth it, that is not enough time to do anything in a tube so you are better of removing the cap.

I have a Romeo and Julieta tubed and sealed that a friend gave me. It is about 2 years old and had never been humidor kept. It now resides in my humidor but I have been reluctant to smoke it. It looks good, though. By not being humidor kept for so long, is it a smoker?

Dustin

Dustinl said:
I have a Romeo and Julieta tubed and sealed that a friend gave me. It is about 2 years old and had never been humidor kept. It now resides in my humidor but I have been reluctant to smoke it. It looks good, though. By not being humidor kept for so long, is it a smoker?

Dustin

Two years out of a humi is a long time, how long has it been your humi? .... Give it two years in the humi and spark it

mjdx88 said:
Glass Tubes? should those be uncapped if the end is sealed with wax?

glass or metal. doesnt matter.

the first few posts in this thread should explain most of it.

What about infused tubos ? I've got a Louis XIII gurkha wax sealed and 3 Oliveros rum/cognac infused tubos. I had some Leonardo DaVinci tubos in the past that I smoked without ever seeing a humidor of mine.

What Kuzi said. And, after you smoke that tubed cigar, the tube can be used for temporary transportation of a cigar you intend to smoke soon.