Two Buck Chuck?

Joined Sep 2005
8 Posts | 0+
PA
I've heard rumors about a wine maker that sells $2 bottles of wine. Has anyone ever tried it? And if it's good... who sells it?

Charles Shaw wines. Mostly a West Coast thing. If the $2 bottles are still available you might try a "Trader Joes" to find it.

The legends are not true, it was just an overabundance of grapes a few years ago. Charles Shaw is a label owned by "Franzia," a distant cousin of Ernest and Julio.

The wine was not received well by wine critics but has/had a cult following.

My Mother in law is from Carlsbad, CA and had me look it up to find her some while she was here. The Trader Joe's in Delaware does not have a liquor license so I never did find it for her.

Ed

Not a bad wine, but not a spectacular wine either. You could put it out at a large party instead of boxed wine and do fine. But it would not be for a special occasion, imho.

I've heard its good for parties... but few have found it. My husband and I visit Total Wine off of Naamen's Road in Deleware, just over the PA state line, about twice a year. It is huge, larger than a supermarket and mainly wine. The last time we were there, we asked a clerk about "chuck" and we pretty much got laughed at.

I did hear from a friend about Trader Joes... are there other outlets that may have the llicense? My curiousity is actually making me thirsty for it :)

PS- isn't "Franzia" of the boxed wine fame? Italian for: Perfume going in... sewage coming out?

Mrs. Soda said:
PS- isn't "Franzia" of the boxed wine fame? Italian for: Perfume going in... sewage coming out?

Yup, you got it!

How's that little one doing these days?

He's a joy...
He's teething.

congratulations on figuring out who i was! :D

Charles Shaw is sold exclusively through Traders Joes. You can buy it in Virginia since Virginia allows supermarkets to sell beer and wine. In Va it sells for 3.35, aprox, a bottle 1.99 in Ca. It has done rather well in blind taste tests. Not to well when the snob factor is in play. Being a wine drinker and a world travelor I compare it to many local wines I find in Italy, France and Spain. If your looking for a bottle of wine to have for dinner and you din't want to spend 20.00 plus, two Buck Chuck is a very nice way to go. I usually buy two cases at a time when I get to the DC area. 6 Cabs, 6 merlots, 6 shiraz and 6 chardonnay's. All for 80.00. Try it for yourself and make your own decision.

Last night was a Charles Shaw Night. Wifey put together a Big meatloaf, mashed potatoes and Lima bean dinner. My contribution was a bottle of Merlot (Charles Shaw of course). A bottle of wine and a plate of comfort food. It was a match made in .....Virginia and California.

Gotta love that "peasant food!" I am so looking forward to the cooler weather and the one-dish staples that come with it. i.e., Chili, venison stew, beouf Bourguigon...

Peasant Food ! what do you mean Peasant Food ? I was raised on that sort of chow and I ain't no darn peasant. :twisted: It was really good. :D

I can't tell you how many people I have heard refer to such fare as "peasant food" in my lifetime. It's a known fact that throughout human history the "peasant" classes, "po' folks," whatever you want to call them have always had the heartiest, most rib stickin' food around. But I know BigTom already knew that. :wink:

I ain't no durn Pheasant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great News ! Trader Joes is opening a new store in
Newport News.
Grand Opening in December. Just in time for XMas. That will cut 6 hrs off of the round trip to more Two Buck Chuck.
It will be near the Newport News Airport (Patrick Henry), across the street from the Mall