Uh oh, gotta change

:shock: Wow! that is really a nice gift. Way to go Sam.

Here's a link to some basic pipe smoking tips, its not hard or difficult but it does take just a little knowledge and experience to get the "feel" of packing, lighting and puffing to get the most enjoyment. http://www.aspipes.org/faq/faq/official.html#i2.

I have a zippo that I like a lot, and a Vector Maximus butane lighter that is a real pleasure to use and not very expensive at around $30
http://www.vectorkgm.com/homepage.html

Form Link removed by Staff

Thank you for those links. It appears I did a few things right by accident!
Ah, I savored my first pipe but an hour ago. I went outside with my barbeque grill, a well seasoned ribeye steak, and a pipeful of Autumn Evening tobacco. Yes, I could not keep the thing lit at first, but I tamped, added, and generally made sure I kept it going. After I had the level right, it kept going itself, with moderate smoking. I experianced the "tounge bite" that the link warned of, but perservered. The two things that made me happiest was my wife and son both coming outside to sniff, and saying, "Gee, that smells good!" Not to mention the flavor of the tobacco, something I am really not used to, as I have smoked cheap cigarettes for years. And I do mean cheap.
Now, maybe this is from being new at this, or such, but when I ate my steak, I could still taste a hint of the pipe tobacco mixing barely with the McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasoning, and it was wonderful. Had to go get some buttered sourdough bread just to continue it.
Now I can look forward to my nightly ritual of going out with the dogs after my son goes to sleep, and insead of firing up the mass produced cigarettes, I will pack a differant bowl with a differant leaf, and relax, as Man was intended to, with a pipe.
Is there a travel pouch for pipes? I have to get approval for everything I bring to work, in writing, from the DW, so I should probably figure out what I need before hand.
I wonder how many bullet casters smoke a pipe, as it has some similarities, the building of your own, and enjoying it yourself.
Thanks, Sam. BTW, this is no joke, my first dog was named Sam. He has crossed the Rainbow Bridge, but is still with us in spirit. He's the one on the left, Snicker pup is still with us.

[img=left]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/PICT0058.jpg[/img]

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the pipes and tobacco. There are travel pouches for pipes and pipe tobacco. There are a lot of styles and price points. In the past I've used ziploc bags in a pinch or just chucked the tobacco and pipe in a work bag or suitcase or whatever I was carying with me. Pipe tobacco seems to be a little less fragile than cigars.

Autumn Evening is one of my favorite aromatic tobaccos. check out http://www.tobaccoreviews.com for reviews of alot of pipe tobaccos. Keep trying them and enjoying them. They tase a heck of a lot better than cigaretts. Been there, done that, wont go back.

Take care.

Sam

Damn Sam! Autumn evening is also one of my favorite aromatics, perfect on those cool nights after a day of fall bird hunting. Bob's Chocolate Flake is my top aromatic. Good choices, what others did you set him up with?

Honestly, I can't remember what all I sent him. I just threw in a lot of different tobaccos that I'v tried. All of them were good quality tobacco, no drugstore blends.

Had the Cornell and Deihl #063 last night, good. I don't know the names of the pipes yet, but first used the wide bowl black bent stem at the top of the pic, and last night the rough black briar looking one, bottom right. For this afternoons' barbeque, I will using the one right in between the two, and a random sack from my new pipedrawer in the China Cabinet. Mmmm, smells good every time I open it up...

What an awesome display of typical Amback generosity. Wow! I'm never suprised and always delighted to see how people here simply ROCK when it comes to giving.

SWilson80 said:
the scoop I have never used so I don't know.

The scoop is a reamer, for keeping the carbon cake in check. From what I understand you don't want more than 1/8" of build up in your bowl.

Thanks, learn more every day. Had more of the C&D 972, really like that one.