Unfriendly cigar shop

Joined Jul 2007
41 Posts | 1+
New Orleans
Yesterday walking in Honolulu smoking a cigar I came upon a cigar store named Tobaccos of Hawaii on Atkinson Dr. As I walked in I was rudely told by the owner NO SMOKING. I jokingly made the comment "no smoking in the cigar store". He went off on me about how you can't drink in a liquor store so you shouldn't smoke in a smoking shop. Whatever. I tried to shrug off his unfriendly style and look at the cigars. As I asked a few questions he was no help. I should have walked out but was to lazy to try and find another shop since I am not from here. I bought a couple of Padrons, 1 Cohiba, and a Camacho anyway. Bottom line is even though I made a purchase I would never patronize this shop again and would not recommend it. Very unhelpful/unfriendly!

p.s. I have been in a lot of cigar shops that don't allow smoking and that is fine. It was just the attitude here that offended.

ive had something simaler happen to me.

i hate it when those guys think they know more than me and talk down to me.

even if they DO know more than me they shouldnt ACT like it.

Thank You! That's all I'm trying to say. That sort of attitude is no way to run any sort of retail business.

"No smoking in the smoke shop"

Where the F%$* can you smoke then. Ive never heard of that. the local B&M is the only place Ive got to smoke when its to hot/cold outside.

I agree, the local B&Ms have always treated me good. I think this is more a case of the store being in a tourist area where repeat customers don't account for the bulk of sales. Still though, with that kind of attitude it's hard to believe he's in business.

I have frequented a few different B& M's in my area. I found one that did not allow smoking in the store. Even though their prices were a little better, I won't shop there anymore. I enjoy looking, buying and sitting down and having a smoke with the owner or salesperson and having a free cup of their coffee and talking for a bit. Never understood a cigar shop that didn't allow you to smoke there. Best shop I ever went to was in Aruba last year. Sat out front with the owner, smoked, drank from his fresh pot of great coffee and talked while looking at the waves and the views etc.

No smoking in a cigar shop...

That sounds kind of dumb to me...

Having an attitude about it makes it even worse...

I would not go there any more either!

I'll have to tell my dad to check that place out and see if they're rude to him also. Could just be the owner had a bad day or something.

We can also get DD to check it out too.

You sure you want ME to check it out?! :biggun: :ar15: :2guns: :uzi:

:throwrock:

Bobberrific said:
The corner stone of any business should be customer relations.

"Should" is the key word there. Unfortunately in practice it's usually not with most business'.

A new B/M opened up in my area this past winter. From the moment I walked in I was harrassed with questions about where I buy my cigars( and of course all other b/m's and the internet were substandard according to this guy). Not that i'm an expert but this guy was clueless about cigars. Needless to say I was chased out within 5 minutes.

Never had a bad experience at a B+M. Only thing that resembled one was a shop in Chicago where the owner had everything under lock and key. That seemed strange to me but I am sure he had his reasons. Cool thing was that whenever I looked at a cigar he immediately gave me a name, country of origin, strength, price, and his thoughts on it. I was impressed.

I would recommend my three local B+M's to anybody. :thumbsup: