Update on my "if you don't have a humidor" problem

Joined Apr 2004
289 Posts | 0+
NJ
My humidor arrived today from JR and I'm now in the process of getting it ready. The digital hygrometer is having the salt test done as we speak. I've got the PPG in the humidifiers (the humidor came with two of them) and they're in the humidor. I'll wait until the RH reads, I'm guessing 70 +/- and stabilizes for a day or so(?). I've left the cigars in the bundle so they stay "somewhat" stable.

Anyone with any comments please feel free to add your 2 cents.

Question 1: With the PPG solution; Do I add more if the RH starts to climb or fall?

Question 2: Do I even need distilled water if I'm using the PPG solution or is just personal preference?

Thanks for your time Gentlemen, Simp
Oh yeah, I almost forgot! Happy birthday and Semper-Fi to any brothers out there!

Definately use distilled water. Tap contains minerals that will clog the humidification device. It is completely true as I have learned first hand, even in the oasis's. You should use your solution to charge the humidifiers, but you don't need to keep adding it because it will also eventually clog things up too. When they get clogged they won't accept liquid anymore. Gallon of distilled is only about .99 and worth every penny. But you still need to use water even with the solution.
There you have it....my two cents

did you buy the PG as a soulution or as pure PG? If you bought a solution it should be a 50/50 mix. If pure then you can mix whatever %'s you need.

Wet your humidifier device and leave it alone. After your device is properly charged you might only have to mess with it every 6 months or so. Mine the other night registered 64%, this after about 6 months of doing nothing to it. I added some 75/25 and will monitor it in a few days.

Dont get to caught up in the exact %'s, just make sure you are'nt too wet or too dry and you'll be ok.

The stuff that I got says that no dilluting is necessary. It says just to use it as is. So you're saying to charge the humidifiers with this stuff initially, and then use distilled water as needed?

Simp said:
The stuff that I got says that no dilluting is necessary. It says just to use it as is. So you're saying to charge the humidifiers with this stuff initially, and then use distilled water as needed?

once you charge the unit you'll add distilled water to add humidity, to lessen humidity add PG.