Using RO/DI water

Joined Jul 2007
57 Posts | 0+
Ft Lauderdale, FL
I'm looking for the pros and cons of using RO/DI water over distilled. I currently own a RO/DI filter that I test constantly for my reef tank to ensure it always has 0 tds. All I read is everyone using distilled water for their humidifiers, but what I've learned from keeping saltwater fish tanks is that distilled water isn't always pure. Many times the distilled water is stored in copper tanks transmitting this into fish tanks which is the reason why a lot of people don't use it for that. Basically I'm looking for a reason for why I should or why I shouldn't be able to use the $300 filtration system that I already own for my cigar humidifier water. :)

get a gallon of smelly water from any fish tank. run it through that filter. if the water still smells like fish tank in any way you will then have your answer.

distilled water may not be "pure" for the reasons you explained, but it is almost always odor free. That is what we are looking for.

feel free to use your filtration system for tap water in your humidification systems, but dont say i didnt warn ya! :shame:

Your current RO/DI system should be fine. That is what I use being a fellow reefer!!! You are not going to get any purrer than that!

I miss my reef tanks. I had a 90, 75 and 55 gallon prior to losing everything in an extended power outage. Having all those and $$$$ worth of corals without generator backup was a big mistake. Haven't had the heart to start over.

http://www.neutechcentral.com/reef.htm

Trent

RO is just fine to use. It's been going into all our humi's for quite some time.

T_Nugent said:
I miss my reef tanks. I had a 90, 75 and 55 gallon prior to losing everything in an extended power outage. Having all those and $$$$ worth of corals without generator backup was a big mistake. Haven't had the heart to start over.

http://www.neutechcentral.com/reef.htm

Trent

Ouch that's the worst. We lose power down in Ft lauderdale when we have the hurricanes so I have a generator in the garage as back up or I would have lost my tank. Very sorry for your losses, I know how crazy expensive our tanks can get sometimes.

As for the RO/DI, I sorta figured seeing as both are used for medical stuff, I just wanted to see if anyone else uses it. Realistically it has the same result as distilled water, plus the added benefit of me doing it myself so it's not stored improperly.

Nothing like having expensive hobbies :). Between the corals and cigars I'm at a constant battle.