Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 Year Old Rye - FINAL . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
RELEASE!!! This also gives way to a new Top Ten of Rye in The Kingdom of Bloofingtonia.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, Lowly Bloofington, The Great Dumboni, see how his brain cells have been so blurred by wellllllll, whatever clouds of smoke have been circling his feeble-brained skull for the past so many years. :roll: He already shows The Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 Year Old Rye on his Top Ten. What a maroon.

:duh: :duh: :duh:

Perhaps if we hold back and don't tell him what a bleeping idiot he is, he'll just put up his post and go back into the woodwork.

:dunno:

I DID say Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 Year Old Rye - FINAL RELEASE, did I not? :angel:

A little explanation is of course, in order. It seems that according to information I have been given, the final release of this wonderful expression bearing the famous Van Winkle label is not just one rye whiskey, but two, the Van Winkle 13 year old matured to 19 years and combined with another. I am not revealing any trade secrets here, because if you inhabit a certain web site(s), the owner himself has discussed this very subject quite publicly.

It seems that around 1998 or so, the Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 Year Old Rye was released as just that, a 13 year old rye whiskey. Over the years, as it was bottled, instead of arresting the aging process, it was continually bottled with the same label, but actually aging to the point where the first bottles I bought in late '01, early '02, were from batches that were perhaps 14-16 years old. It would appear that because new licenses and registrations would have been required to change the label every year, an executive decision was made to just continue putting the same label on this ever aging, very fine rye.

Up until bottles perhaps labeled with an "F," it was only the original rye whiskey by itself, aging to 18 years, then upon hitting the 19 year old mark, it was blended in an unstated percentage with some other unknown rye whiskey, to make the final release of the Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 year old rye whiskey. Again, this "final release" is the original 13 year old, aged to 19 years and combined, perhaps half and half, perhaps some other percentage, to make this "final release."

Therefore, we can see from the above and very much "from the horse's mouth" description, that this "final release" is actually a different product from the original. Through the years I had noted occasional subtle differences in bottles I bought, which ranged from perhaps "B" Series bottles to very definitely at least "D" or "E" Series bottles. The bottle sitting in my den on the shelf with the empties representing the Top Ten of Rye is in fact labeled D5003. I always noted a signature flavor profile, spicy, a bit of heat, with oak and fine candy always came to mind. It was usually bold, complex, and both sweet and spicy.

This "final release," a different product indeed, retains much of the signature profile, leading off during the first two or three sips with white pepper, lots and lots of wood, honey, perhaps vanilla, and blackberries. At about the third or fourth sip, at the time when it's been one hour to one hour and fifteen minutes after the pour and stir, just when it's flavor should be peaking, something interesting happens to this rye. The blackberry, which sometimes tastes like elderberry, suddenly begins to get very earthy, and the complexity starts to disappear. It gets very monotonous, the wood, fruit and candy drop away to the point where by the end, at one hour and forty five minutes after the pour, I've been tasting all earth for a while.

This last nuance reminds me suspiciously of Black Maple Hill's 18 year old rye, and my review is somewhere on previous pages. One reason why I couldn't rate Black Maple Hill's rye any higher than I did is because of the monotonous and very heavy earth tones. I don't mind tasting earthy notes in a bourbon or rye, but I don't believe they should predominate, especially to the exclusion of other flavors. Who knows what this is due to? Could it be the additional three to six years of age from previous bottles I've had, or the addition of another unnamed rye whiskey?

All of this begs the question, why was this marriage made? Were they going for a certain number of bottles and coming up short if they didn't mix an already outstanding product with something else? At any rate, something has suffered, which is why I couldn't place this product any higher than No. 4 on my Top Ten of Rye, an outstanding placement all things considered. This is indeed still a very fine product, and a classic which will be missed when it is all gone. I understand that bottling of this will proceed for a few years, and that the married whiskey is now being held in a stainless steel holding tank. If the whiskey holds up and doesn't deteriorate, it will be around for a while.

Although I was disappointed that this did not taste better, it is nonetheless a fine rye whiskey, especially for the $31.99 + shipping you will pay at http://www.shoppersvineyard.com. If you are into rye whiskey, and want to try this mysterious combination of a 19 year old rye with an unnamed rye of about the same age, you won't be disappointed overall. The bottles of this "final release" are currently labeled "G" with a number following the letter.

Following is also the new Bloofingtonian Top Ten of Rye, and I must say I am glad to see the Hirsch 13 year old go. It was not produced by the famous Michter's Distillery from Pennsylvania that closed many years ago, the one which produced the famous Hirsch 16 and 20 year old bourbons. The Hirsch 13 rye is an unknown, overpriced pretender to a glorious name, and probably something that someone somewhere recognized needed to be gotten rid of in order to avoid a total loss. It was sold to someone with the rights to the Hirsch name and isn't all that good.

The smooth, sweet, dessert cordial-like Wild Turkey Rye falls to a well deserved 10th place because it's boring and almost flavorless. Jim Beam Rye at No. 9 is interesting, but lacking in body, and therefore not worthy of me spending any more money on it. From No. 8 on up, it gets interesting, although the Black Maple Hill 18 year old rye at No. 7, though nice and very unique, is overpriced for what you're getting in terms of boldness and complexity.

Bloofingtonian Top Ten of Rye

1. The Classic Cask Single Batch 22 year old
2. Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 year old
3. The Classic Cask Single Batch 21 year old
4. Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 year old (final release)
5. Sazerac 18 year old
6. Old Potrero Straight Rye Whiskey (90 proof version)
7. Black Maple Hill 18 year old
8. Old Overholt
9. Jim Beam Rye
10. Wild Turkey Rye

I've yet to mosey through the realm of Rye yet. I'm still currently lost in the bourbonsand scotchs with the occasional rum thrown in.

I may have to see what the local store has in the Rye department this weekend. If you had to give a brief contrast between bourbon and rye, what would you say?

Bourbon generally sweeter, rye adds spice and grainy flavors. That's very general, but a good guideline.

Yes... and jumping from Bourbon to Rye, I'd suggest you start with one of two products... neither of which are as cheap as some of their competitors nor are they readily available throughout the year.

1. Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 year old.

2. Sazerac Rye 18 year old. (2003 & 2004) bottles are friendlier than 2001 & 2002 bottles. All should be tough to find sitting around but I doubt an 01 or 02 could be found *absent E-Bay or the likes. I know there is still reasonably price 04 Sazerac Rye laying around.

Other ryes might be too giant a leap to recover from if you're a Bourbon-head.

"Other ryes might be too giant a leap to recover from if you're a Bourbon-head. "

:mrgreen:

So, how'd you like my review, boss?

The review was very detailed indeed.

I'll pick up my 2 bottles of the latest release tomorrow.

I'm still unclear if this is the first release of the two ryes married. It may very well be that the last release (F) bottles were the intial release. I'll try to find out what the deal is.

Thank you. Awaiting further word from you on your tastings, and any information regarding bottle alphanumeric designations. I covered myself by saying "perhaps" as respects bottles labeled with an "F." Looking forward to your opinions on this release.

Just wondering if anyone has hard of or tasted white lightning(Temelton Rye). some people say it is pretty good the story around here is that Al Capone drank it back in the proabition days. There still are a lot of people that make the stuff although the quality is not consistant. but what do you expect when you have a bunch of old guys making it in the sheds.

Are those the guys that run it through a car's engine to distill it? I think Granny Clampett from the Beverly Hillbillies used to drink that stuff. :cryinlaugh:

You could probally run your car on it if you want to strong for me. but seriously they have been making it here for a long time. Some people even got together and are going to try to start making it legally. last summer they started building a distillary.

You have my undivided attention, and have most definitely piqued my interest. Please continue to come to the forums, and by all means keep us posted on this new distillery. It seems there's a new age dawning in American whiskey, as old masters have either died or are getting on. Many have come along to continue the traditions begun by the old masters, and even more still, are trying new things. Thanks for the input, and definitely keep the news coming. :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

That's actually not a bad first try, and not just because it's still No. 9 on my Top 10. Jim Beam rye is a unique, distinct, snappy, spicy rye that is a good one to get an idea of what true rye is like. The only problem with it, if any, is that it's a bit muted in flavor because of being only 80 proof, and young and unsophisticated. But overall, it scores high with me, and you get back big change from a twenty.

Just talked to a friend of mine from Tempelton, he said the distillory is up and running right now. Though he did say that they are running into a few problems ie distributing and marketing. They kind of put the cart befor the horse if you ask me. But any ways they do have some in barrels right know. I am not sure when they will start selling though. The norm for how they do it is 5 years. My guess is they will need to bottle some early say 3 years for some deperatly need cash.

I'll take a three year old rye. The 19th Century version of Old Potrero by Fritz Maytag of Anchor Brewing fame is fantastic. Old Overholt is kind of watery at 80 proof, but unique and good tasting stuff. That's only four years old. Old Williamsburg No. 20, 101 proof, is a bourbon, but it's great and only three years old. Keep us posted. This sounds interesting.