Vintage 17 Year Old Bourbon. . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
There is also a 21 year old, currently in the Bloofingtonian tasting department, and LeNell's is listing a 23 year old, along with the 21. I purchased the 17 and 21 year old at Warehouse Wines and Spirits, 735 Broadway, in Manhattan, NYC.

Now, does that mean a group of folks got together in 1982 and said let's buy corn, rye (perhaps wheat), barley malt, yeast, barrels, warehouses, etc., and make bourbon? I don't think so. So, some information I get from Master Whiskey, 13th Dan, some stuff I don't know but speculate on, and I've got a pretty good detective's nose, and some stuff is almost self-evident, especially when you're reading labels. :wink:

So now, out of the complete blue, we have this company (perhaps venture capitalists?) who made up labels to slap on SOME distillery's unwanted 17, 21, and 23 year old bourbons, and if these aren't the gaudiest, most decorative, glizty, dare I say bling, bling bourbon labels, then I've never seen bourbon before.

This thread is not to review the 21 year old version, which like the 17 year old I AM reviewing, is a very nice 94 proof. I will say this about the 21, and that is, stay tuned for a review that will be anywhere from fairly nice to very nice.

As for the 17 year old, after my third tasting, it's an easy figure. This is extra smooth, VERY unique, in such a weird way as to be intriguing. The problem is that the weirdness dominates to an extreme, which makes drinking this bourbon a turn off. There are 11 shots worth left in the bottle, and it's going to someone else. It is an unfortunate disappointment at a walk-out price of $43.34 ($39.99+tax), although it is so weirdly intriguing, maybe you SHOULD go out and get a bottle.

This gets no consideration for Top 25 status.

This bourbon is extremely smooth, with a faint hint of sweet wood, a DEEP wood flavor, which is immediately overcome by a face slamming mouthful of salted fish, salty and fishy to the max. My sister lives in a neighborhood where the stores cater to the African and Caribbean populations that dominate the surrounding area. They have these salted fish in plastic bags in this one store that tastes almost exactly like this bourbon. I will buy these fish every once in a while and scrape the meat off the bones with my teeth. One of the most intense food experiences, and something I have to REALLY be in a mood for. This bourbon is so weirdly like that salted fish at that store.

Vintage Bourbon Co. Not liking this one. Glad I have the 21.

The so extraordinary thing happens with me every now and then with a new try.

In most cases, those said items I hold onto but they become very mood specific pours and are likely to last several years after being opened. Once in a while you might actually want something out of the ordinary.

By the way, HP, I didn't take the point lightly. As a consummate collector, I dig where you're coming from. As for me, a consummate, sipper, I'd rather just give it to someone who will enjoy it now. Can't imagine who's going to like bourbon that tastes like salted fish, but I'll find someone. :sm_angel: