Weekly Salt Testing!

Joined Aug 2004
2K Posts | 1+
If we all get together every Tuesday night (6pm) we can sync up our Salt test!:idea:

JOKE!
CC :roll:

Seriously - how often do you guys do this?
I stopped checking after I got the beads
or using a hygro for that matter.
If my cigars feel a little dry - I check the beads.

Adding water when needed.

I still haven't got beads. Always end up spending the money on more stix! I Plan to check mine twice a year but at least once. I actually need to do it.

Castlecrest,

Like you, since I started using beads, I'm not as concerned about salt testing or even hygometers that much any more. Beads work. And if one has a good seal on their humidor while using beads, hygrometers are really not needed. I spritz my bead tubes about once every three weeks. Now granted, I still have hygrometers in both of my humidors and they ALWAYS read what I want them to. All I'm saying is that I would feel 100% confident in my RH if I was to take my hygrometers out.

Hopefully this will help out some of the newer guys. There seems to be alot of posts on humidity. Nothing is more worrisome for a beginner than to worry about his or her cigars drying up. I don't mean to advocate beads so much but I can tell any beginner that they helped me.

Dustin

Dustin, you hit that nail right on the head. I have been using beads for over a year now, and never worry about the humidity one little bit. I think it helps that the temperature of my storage area rarely changes, but all in all, I can say that those little beads (or cat litter if you are so inclined) do the trick!!

The battery died in one of my desktops about 8 months ago - I still haven't replaced it because of the beads.

I do keep one in my cabinet even though I have a CO XL (using polymers) and beads on the top. I just need that security with the bulk of my stash.

Kelvin said:
The battery died in one of my desktops about 8 months ago - I still haven't replaced it because of the beads.

I do keep one in my cabinet even though I have a CO XL (using polymers) and beads on the top. I just need that security with the bulk of my stash.

My cabinet has Set & Forget system - so I know it will be kept right.
When collections get in the $1000 - better safe than sorry!
Even with the S&F system I use beads.
Beads will reduce RH - if needed.

As a side note - I use the Pet Pearl beads in my big cabinet.
In that situation I find them easy.
I let the S&F hold & lock the setting in -
for any that don't know S&F is electronic humidty device.
Here is a link to see what they are:
http://www.aristocrathumidors.com/electronic.htm

Yeah I dont really pay much attention out side of how my cigars feel. I use the 63% beeds and have never had any troubles. Salt tests are for the soft and week... :lol: :lol: :lol: