What are you smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smoking a bowl of Dan Devil's Holiday in a Neerup. Tin description reads, "Gentle black cavendish with tips of golden Virginia, flavored with sweet wild forest berries. Hellishly good and heavenly delicious!" Well, I have eaten wild berries, but this leaf tastes and smells like grape flavored Hubba-Bubba bubble gum. It taste good, excellent room note, and easy on the tongue. A change of pace from the Latakia and Perique blends I have been smoking lately!

Smoked some presbyterian mix that was simply wonderful. Nothing like some good old Five Point baccy! WoOt!

Eli, I love Presbyterian!

Last night we had a mini-snow storm roll in, so I decided to cook a little, drink a few Strongbow's, and smoke a lot sitting in front of the fireplace with a hot roaring fire.

First up, C&D Interlude in a Savinelli Hercules. Only packed it half full, with pipe has a HUGE bowl. Next, smoked some Penzance in a Castello Sea Rock. The only complaint I have about Penzance is the "mottled flake". Those tiny pieces sucked into the back of the throat is not fun.

Before bed, I smoked a mixture by our own Rev. Todd Jerabek. I don't remember off the top of my head what was in it, except 51?? by McClelland.

Picked up a few more tins from C&D. Right after work I had the Black Frigate, which was pretty good. But I'm smoking a bowl of Elegant Emu as I type this and all I can say is WOW!!! This is a great pipe tobacco. I can see why it won at the '07 Chicago show. Burley, Latakia, red Virginia, Perique, and unsweetened cavendish. Sounds almost like a potluck of sorts but it works. Wonderful flavors in here. I would highly recommend you try a 2oz sample of this. 5 Star stuff in my book.

I also got some Star of the East flake and the new Epiphany, but they will have to wait for another day to be tried. Like tomorrow! :D

Heritage. A two friends blend Craig Tarler and G.L. Pease that I'm realizing is one those perfect "morning smokes". A faint aromatic that really tastes great and smokes smooth. Mild to Medium bodied.

Hatchet, you just got married man! What are you doing on the computer!?!?!?!

Capt said:
Hatchet, you just got married man! What are you doing on the computer!?!?!?!

LOL...what every tobacco romantic does...talkin' smokes! :D

Well I tried the Star of the East Flake and the Epiphany. To be honest the Epiphany didn't really do it for me. Burned a bit hot, had a tendency to bite, and the flavors didn't medley all that well IMHO. I really liked the Star of the East, but I'm a Latakia lover, and it's 50% Cyprian Latakia.

Yesterday I had a bowl of GLP Embarcadero. It was pretty good. A nice virginia and oriental flake. It burned to a fine grey ash with no dottle left in the bowl. I gotta say Greg has done it again.

Sam

Hatchetman said:
Safe Harbor flake...very good smoke. I also have Snug Harbor...but can't find it on the site...is the Safe Harbor unpressed?
Capt said:
I believe Safe Harbor is Flake, Snug Harbor is not.

I found a description of Snug Harbor on smokingpipes.com...and I didn't realize it even smoking it or smelling it, but its an aromatic...which if I knew, I would not have just packed it into my Pete...but I couldn't even tell so I guess I'm not that concerned.

"A rich English blend with a touch of vanilla. For your relaxation and enjoyment after braving the seas of life."

Hatchet, Samuel Gawith Perfection is also an Eglish blend with vanilla added. Its so faint, it is barely detectable. And, after aging a few years, it basically just disappears!

There's just something about starting your day with Kajun Kake in a Peterson that can't be expalined....something....

I smoked GLP Cairo from June 2000 in a Tinsky prince on the dirve to work this morning. It was pretty interesting stuff. I'm going to have to spend some time getting to know this blend. It is similar to C&D Orion's Arrow but it has a good 7.5 years of age on it.

Sam

Just got my order!!!

I ordered 6 tins of Nording's Hunter Series Retriever, and a tin of Sam Gawith Christmas Blend, 2007. The Christmas blend seems very unique to me. Aroma of cloves, mulling spices and orange peel. Almost like a mincemeat pie. Very wet in the tin, but it smokes well without any drying.
Also got alot of cleaning supplies. If you are looking to keep that shine on your pipes, the Stanwell "green" cloth is a must have!

I didn't know Sam Gwaith made a Christmas Blend. I'll have to order a tin next time I place an order.

Safe Harbor Flake....I want to eat this stuff....

Status
Not open for further replies.