What brand butane do you use?

Amy

Joined Nov 2003
2K Posts | 0+
Paradise CA
Curious on what people use. Is there actually even a difference between say Ronson butane, and the more expensive stuff? I use Snap-On tools branded butane, as I buy alot of it anyway for my cordless soldering iron that I use for work and hobby.

I use Vector. Can says it's filtered 5 times. I know I've had less trouble out of it in my lighters than the Colibri brand.

Butane

I use Colibri. I don't know if it's the best, but I've had no problems with it whatsoever.

I usually use Vector, but a few months ago I walked into my local shop and spotted nearly 2 cases of LAVA butane. I've been real happy with it, but I know it won't last forever :roll:

Lava when I can get it, clibri when I can.
3 times refined or better is the way to go -
over time crap can build up in th ejets and make your lighter burn badly or not at all.
It's also god to blow out the jets, with either a air compressor or
a can of computer air.

(Blow out from the top, not through the tank!)

Colibri and no problems yet. I also take my lighter apart and clean it with my air compressor once a month too.

iminaquagmire said:
Colibri and no problems yet. I also take my lighter apart and clean it with my air compressor once a month too.

What kind of lighter is it?
Can you take any lighter apart?
I ask becuase I always want to take them apart, but
just not sure how to?
Most of my good lighters will be fixed under warrenty if I ever send
them back - but as a jeweler I got all kinds of tiny tools &
it sounds like fun!

I use Colbri butane, which is double filtered. I didn't know there was any brand other than S. T. Dupont that was 5X filtered. Dupont cans only fit Dupont lighters.
Where can I find Lava or Vector butane?

I have 4 Colbri lighters, 2 Prometheus lighters, and 2 Solo lighters, all purchased at approximately the same time. Only the 2 Solos still function correctly.

The Prometheus lighters are a Liquid and an Avatar. The Liquid has a problem with the switch; it won't fully depress. The Avatar has developed a leak at the gas input port. I would like to send them back, but I'm unsure if Prometheus will do the work if it's not under warranty. I neglected to save the bills of sale from the online purchases.

http://www.prometheuskkp.com/

The 4 Colibri's I have are the CX Gear Sting, Adventurer, Submersible, and the Tempest. The Sting worked for about 4 months, then quit. The flint wheel of the Adventurer jammed, and I cannot unjam it. The Tempest and Submersibles just never did work.

http://www.colibri.com/catalogs/ccatalog1.cfm

One thing about good old Zippo's: if it's broke, just send it back and they'll fix it, no charge, period. The only thing they charge for is refinishing.

BTW, I'm not a cigar smoker, just cigs.

CastleCrest said:
iminaquagmire said:

What kind of lighter is it?
Can you take any lighter apart?
I ask becuase I always want to take them apart, but
just not sure how to?
Most of my good lighters will be fixed under warrenty if I ever send
them back - but as a jeweler I got all kinds of tiny tools &
it sounds like fun!

I have a Colibri Quantum Belmont. I doubt being able to take just any lighter apart though. But if your torch lighter is able to be serviced then its gotta be able to be taken apart just by deduction. Most that I've seen and all that I own have a micro screw that holds the mechanism inside the case. So I just bleed the lighter, unscrew the mechanism from the case, pull it out, blow some compressed air through it and reassemble. If it has a gasket though, make sure you put that back. I learned that the hard way when my lighter leaked and I flash fried my palm. :shock:

I have a blazer lighter and I use blazer fuel as it fits in the lighter. I don't know how many times it has been refined I will have to look after I get back from hunting this weekend.

Martin