What did you buy today?

Joined Sep 2005
847 Posts | 0+
Newport, RI
This has worked pretty well for cigars, so I'll see how it goes for booze. If it works well, great. If not...I hope people start new threads so this gets on a back page. :wink:

Today, armed with my knowledge from this forum, I went to my local liquor store and bought a bottle of Bowmore Legend. I like the Bowmore 12 alright, but the Legend is just a little bit more than half the price (~23 bucks). I hope I like it, because the price is definitely right.

So, you like the Bowmore 12, huh? I don't know from single malts, but I got a few bottles of Bowmore 12 a few years ago, at a ridiculously low closeout sale price. It seems that it's very peaty, too much so for some single malt drinkers. I tried to use them as gifts. It went over so, so. Hey, the people got them for free, so no complaints, but it didn't go over like a bottle of Macallan 15 would.

Does the Bowmore Legend have an age statement?

Bloofington said:
Does the Bowmore Legend have an age statement?

It does not have an age statement. I'm sure that's what explains the price difference. I'll try some tonight and see if I saved twenty bucks by not buying the 12, or just wasted 23 bucks on scotch I can't stand.

You'll never believe the price I paid for those few bottles of Bowmore 12. $19.99 + shipping, pennies under $25 for a "walk-out price."

Bloofington said:
You'll never believe the price I paid for those few bottles of Bowmore 12. $19.99 + shipping, pennies under $25 for a "walk-out price."

Wow! Now that is a ridiculously low price. I think the only way to get them cheaper is by wearing a ski mask and carrying a weapon.

:cryinlaugh: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :cryinlaugh: :mrgreen: :pumpkin: :cryinlaugh: :pumpkin: :rotflmao: :mrgreen:

Yeah, I think you're right. That's why I bought them. I wouldn't drink it, but I knew at that price, it was a good gift idea. What I didn't know, was that I was buying one of the peatiest single malts around, and comparatively young, too. I hear the older the stuff gets, the less smoke, peat and iodine wind up in single malt reviews. :dunno:

Yesterday I stopped in at Warehouse Wines in downtown Manhattan, and picked up a bottle of No. 18 on my bourbon list, the second best bang for the buck bourbon in the world, Pure Kentucky. This is not the Pure Kentucky that I originally tasted years ago, to make my final review. That was 12 years old, and came in a different bottle. I got it on closeout for real cheap. Shortly after that, the bottle shape changed, and what is being put out now is 10 years old. It's still good enough to maintain its placement on my list, and at a "walk-out price" of $21.66 ($19.99+tax), it practically falls off the shelf, begging to be taken.

I bought my first bottle of Macallan 12 today...I can't wait to try it.

acharpe said:
I bought my first bottle of Macallan 12 today...I can't wait to try it.

I get this when my wife and I go out to eat, very enjoyable. I just picked up a bottle of German Riesling and a bottle of Vanilla Brandy.

Today I bought some Brandy snifters, Martini glasses, and Single Malt glasses. I'm going to save up for a nice bottle of scotch for Christmas time.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It's barrel-proof, at a stout 108.2 proof. God help me. :D

Aberlour a'bunadh. It's Batch No.17, 120.4 proof. Dang, it smells great! This just might kill me. Gonna go try it. Maybe with an Opus. Good times.

i didnt buy it actually.

i came home from the store and it seems that the beer fairy paid me a visit while i was gone.

sitting right by my front door was a case of Sam Adams. two were missing, the rest were unopened. I hope this happens again soon. I hope its Dortmunder Gold next time.

My girlfriends father gave me a bottle of Bushmill's 10 single malt for christmas. Going to open it tonight with a CAO Soprano.