What did you buy today?

I'm liking the Macallan 18 quite a bit. I have to figure out how to sneak the purchase of a bottle by the wife though.

I started this thread and forgot to update it :oops: So, here goes...

I few weeks ago, I bought a bottle of McClelland's Highland Single Malt. Not a huge fan, but not at all bad for the price (about 20 bucks). I also got a bottle of Wild Turkey Rye. Same price, but it is a great bottle of Rye. If you haven't tried Rye whiskey and are looking to try it, this is a great place to start.

Today, I racked up. I got a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 year old Single Barrel bourbon. It was barreled in 1980 so I would be surprised if it were only 18 years old. It's probably one of the smoothest bottles of bourbon I've tried. I also got a bottle of Dimple Pinch which is a very good blended scotch with a little more kick than Johnnie Walker Black.

Finally, I got a bottle of Black Bottle 10 year old scotch. It is a blended scotch as well, but all of the single malts in it are Islays. It's a very flavorful, peaty, smoky blend that is amazing. To top it off, it's only 30 bucks. Well worth the money. It's hard to find, but if you do find it and like Islays, this is certainly a great scotch to get. You can get more information about it at http://www.blackbottle.com . I will be getting more bottles of this, that's for sure.

Happy Drinking,
Aubrey

Today, I was able to finally find Rittenhouse Rye locally. It's a great, 80 proof rye whiskey. Not quite the bite of the Wild Turkey rye (which is 101 proof), but very good nonetheless. It's got the sweetness of bourbon, with a touch of rye spice. I'd be happy with it if it were a 30 dollar bottle. Luckily, it is ELEVEN BUCKS. If you find it and you enjoy rye, I don't see how you could pass it up. They also make a 100 proof as well as a 21 year old version. I'd love to try the others if I can find it. I'm currently enjoying it with an Exile Rosado Robusto. Good cigar and a good drink.

Happy Drinking,
Aubrey

Two new buys that I've been very happy with...

I finally found the Sazerac Rye 6 year old locally. Pulled the trigger on a bottle. It's about 90 proof, and it's got some great rye flavors. I like this more than the Wild Turkey Rye and the Rittenhouse Rye that I've bought in the past. It's great and I will have to grab some of the 18 year old here in the future. After trying the 6, I think the 18 will definitely be worth the extra money.

I bought a bottle of the Redbreast 12 year old today. It has been quite a while since I've tried Irish Whiskey, and I probably should have bought this then, but it's a great whiskey! It's not as sweet as Jameson's. It's a pure pot still Irish whiskey that is very smooth with tons of great flavor.

Both of these are great whiskeys. I also got another bottle of the Ron Zacapa Centenario Rum. It's so good that it's become my avatar, as well as my go-to drink on a Friday evening. :D

Well...had to change my avatar...

My local liquor store rocks! The owner, John, decided to hook me up and got me a bottle of Lagavulin 16...AT COST! :thumbsup:

If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it! It's such a great Islay Scotch. It actually starts sweet when you first drink a sip, and then it becomes the quality smoky peaty Islay that is just so good. It's amazing how complex this scotch is.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if this guy is trying to hook me on this stuff because I will have to buy more of this. So good!

And in other news, I finally found Buffalo Trace Bourbon here. So much quality for under 25 bucks.

Anybody else buy anything recently. I'd love to hear about it here on the thread. This place is such a great place to find good stuff to buy.

I also bought two bottels of the Lag, and at 50 a bottle it was a steal. it was not local, but should be here soon

I did not buy this, but on Thursday I received a bottle of Wathen's Kentucky Bourbon Single Barrel from my roomate for my birthday.

It is a 94 proof..

In my limited tastings so far... I perfer Knob Creek over the Wathen's.

i think im gunna go out tomorrow and buy a case of two buck chuck! its been a while. Time to revisit an old friend.

I have been on a scotch single malt spree the last few months. Here are some impressions:
Highland Park 12- briney, tastes of the sea. The first few drams did not appeal to me, but I liked it fairly well by the end of the bottle. Probably not likely to become a favorite.
Macallan 12- mild, delicate bouquet; some might consider it weak.
Glenlivet 12- excellent baseline single malt. Mild, but tasty and well-balanced. A good introduction to single malts for someone used to blends.
Talisker 10- peppery, with a nice finsh. Good Stuff.
Dalmore 12- very smooth, highly drinkable, a good bargain.
Laphroaig 10- a full bore peat and iodine monster. I think it's growing on me. Not for the faint of heart. It made my wife gag.
Balvenie 12 Doublewood- just purchased yesterday. Tastes like a fine bourbon with a touch of sherry. Great nose.
I still have Lagavulin 16 and Dalwhinnie 15 on my list to try. I have read nothing but good reports on the Lag, mixed reviews on the Dalwhinnie. Any opinions?
The local liquor store had Drambuie on sale for $24.99 so I picked up 2 bottles.

I went a little nuts today, though it was sort of planned- I've been meaning to try some inexpensive brandies & a good plata Tequila for a while. So far I've pretty much stuck to Cognac & Anejo Tequila. I've been wondering if I'm just paying for the name with Cognac, and after reading some reviews I decided to give some stuff from elsewhere a try.

Maker's Mark - It's finally on sale at Binny's.
Don Eduardo Silver Tequila
KWV 10 year old South African Brandy
Felipe II Solera Reserva Brandy de Jerez from Spain

Attended a cigar and sale of Larry Bell's cellared vintage beers and bought the following. Had a taste of the 1996 Stout and it was incredibly smooth, dark, rich.

Two bottles each of 1995 and 1996 Bells Expedition Stout
2000 Bells Cherry Stout Reserve
Couple of bottles of Bells Eccentric Ale (1995 and 1999)

Went to a cigar sitdown yesterday, so...

I saw and picked up a bottle of the Ron Zacapa 15 year old....

And yes, it was as good as the hype!

I had heard so much about the brand, but was a little leery of being let down. I picked it up for around $25, and there was not a drop left at the end of the night!

Picked up a bottle of Redbreast Irish Whiskey and Ron Zacapa 23 Year rum. I've had both of them before. I can't imagine not having either of them in my liquor cabinet.

I tried Glenmorangie 10(complex and smooth) and Macallan 10 within the last month. Both recommendable. My current favorite everyday dram is Macallan 12- it's taste has really grown on me. :)

timjo1955 said:
My current favorite everyday dram is Macallan 12- it's taste has really grown on me. :)

Macallan 12 is on the high end of what I'll spend, but it's definitely my scotch of choice when I can afford a bottle.

Well I finally pulled the trigger on a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20yr old bourbon. Was the last bottle they had at the local cigar lounge/spirits store. Can't wait to try it tonite with the PSD4 Craig sent me. Looks like I'm set up for a good evening.

I managed to find a web site (http://www.internetwines.com) with George T. Stagg in stock last weekend and ordered some along with a few things they had on sale at very attractive prices. As luck would have it they're based out of a liquor store in the St. Louis area, so I just did a store pickup.

George T. Stagg, apparently Spring 2005 Lot B (outside Kentucky) 131.8 proof. $60.
It was just listed as George T. Stagg, so I didn't find out exactly what I had until I got home and looked around on the net. I'm not 100% sure it's a 2005... in theory it could be a new fall 2007 release, though I didn't find anything indicating one had been made. Still, it seems highly unlikely that a new release would be the exact same proof as the Spring '05 lot B.
I quite enjoyed the little nip I had tonight. It was quite drinkable for how strong it is, and had a rich, oakey old whiskey flavor.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed $25 - Another little pour (I just can't resist trying stuff) I really like this stuff. It's really rich, and quite smooth for 108.2 proof. Quite possibly a new favorite.
Macallan Fine Oak 10 $30 (Haven't tried it yet)
Pyrat Pistol Rum (375ml) $10 - Interesting! Also quite excellent. Rock candy up front and oranges on the back of your tongue. Initially it smelled like olives right after pouring, but that changed to more of an orange smell after being in the glass a few minutes. It's also quite "effervescent". I tried the rum first, then had some rare breed, then burped and... it smelled like Pyrat.

zandor said:
I tried the rum first, then had some rare breed, then burped and... it smelled like Pyrat.

Thanks for sharing!

:rotflmao:

1 Bottle Evan Williams - for mixing, I love Old Fashioneds
1 Bottle Knob Creek - for sipping, and hopefully to keep me from burning through my bottle of Pappy's
1 Bottle Robert Mondavi White Zinfandel - for the lady, so hopefully I knock one out of the ballpark tonight! :D :D :D