What did you buy today?

Bloofington said:
Zandor, you were right on the Stagg. The 2007 release is going to be in the 140's.

Argh! Now I'm going to want another bottle. I was hoping I'd get a "Hazmat" release of the stuff, mostly just because I'm curious to find out what 140 proof whiskey feels like. Any idea when the 2007 release will be available?

I made a trip to the liquor store today as I'm about out of Buffalo Trace, my "usual" bourbon. It's good and cheap, which works well for a student. I picked up a 1.75 of the stuff.

As it's my 31st birthday on Monday I decided to pick up a treat- a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20yo. Naturally I don't plan on opening it until Monday. I think I'll do a comparison between Pappy's and AH Hirsch 16 on Monday while smoking an Opus X Reserva de Chateau (7x48).

Not sure when The Antique Collection is coming out this year, but I'll give you a hint.

SOON!!!

Picked up another bottle of Buffalo Trace today as well as a bottle of Old Grand-Dad 100 BIB. That Old Grand-Dad is very good!

I stopped by Binny's in Skokie, IL (Chicago suburb) yesterday on my way back from a visit to Chicago. I was planning on getting a few things I can't get in St. Louis without mail ordering them- "Baby" Sazerac rye and a few singles of some cigars I can't find locally, particularly some Kristoffs. I figured I might also pick up a bottle of cask strength Scotch, since the selection around here is pretty limited most places, and the one place that does have a decent selection is pretty expensive.

Then I got to the American Whiskey... Walked out with no Scotch but got:
Sazerac 18 rye
Thomas H. Handy Sazerac rye
2x "Baby" Sazerac rye

I've been looking for the first two for a while, and the last one is one of my favorites.

How have i been a member of this site for 6 months and not noticed this Forum??? Hope to be able to share some thouhts with the group. Mainly a wine guy, but i enjoy a good beer also!
I went to the wine store yesterday and got:
2- EOS - Sirah- 2005
2- Hahn - Syrah - 2005
2- Hope Estates "The Ripper" - Shiraz - 2005

All good faithful everyday wines that i like to keep on hand.

I usually buy one wine at a time. If i buy more than that; I just get even more drunk. It never lasts long in my house. I think overnight is usually the longest it lasts. I have only aged two bottles and one of them will be consumed on Thurdays to celebrate the sale of my house and also Valentine's day with my wife and in-laws. It is a 2001 bottle of Jordan Cab Sav. I had this wine once before and it was outstanding. I enjoyed it in 2005 while watching the Steelers kick the Colts out of the playoffs with some good friends. I can't wait till Thursday to have it.

Last night I had a pretty good table wine cal Tiz Red california. It was an '04. This was a blend of Cab, Syrah and Zin that was ripe and fruit forward and kinda on the full bodied side. It had a good finish with a little spice. The kind of wine you don't really try and think about and rate it; just sit back relax and enjoy it.

The 2005 Jordan Cab is a very good wine, one of my old faithfuls.

I usually drink 2-3 bottles a week so i just do a good shop every 2 weeks or so.

I have a good collection of "aging wines." Some of which my dad has given to me from his celler. Its kinda like cigars in a sence, what is the point of having them if you are not going to drink or smoke them? That is one question i may never know....

Picked up some Wild Turkey 101. I just love the stuff. So much flavor. I bought a glass at a bar a couple weeks ago. I asked for it neat. The poor bartender had to ask me like three times "are you sure you want it neat? No ice, no nothing? Really?" I think I flustered the girl so bad she counted the change wrong. :D

I just picked up a bottle of Caol Ila 12. I saw Vince's seal of approval and figured I'd give it a shot. It's quite a bit cheaper than Lagavulin and I really enjoy Islay scotches. I was very surprised when I poured a glass. It's very very light in the glass. It's not as up-front as some of the other Islays, but it has tons of great flavor. I don't think this will be my last bottle of this one. :thumbsup:

acharpe said:
I just picked up a bottle of Caol Ila 12. I saw Vince's seal of approval and figured I'd give it a shot. It's quite a bit cheaper than Lagavulin and I really enjoy Islay scotches. I was very surprised when I poured a glass. It's very very light in the glass. It's not as up-front as some of the other Islays, but it has tons of great flavor. I don't think this will be my last bottle of this one. :thumbsup:

Now that sounds good.

Is it smokey like a Lag?

Barcochris said:
acharpe said:

Now that sounds good.

Is it smokey like a Lag?

Not quite as smoky as Lagavulin IIRC. It also doesn't have the sweetness on the finish. Very good stuff, just different.

Picked up a bottle of Cask Strength 10 Yr. Laphroaig on Saturday for our Easter Brunch. Unfortunately I forgot about it, and didn't get to give it a try. I've had the regular 10 year, but this is the first time I saw the cask strength so I'll have to give it a try one evening this week.

I find myself to be a rum enthusiast so I went looking for something new yesterday and found it. Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva Rum. The rum is Cuban based and has won several awards. The price was a little high but well worth the money. It is probably the smoothest most mellow rum that I have ever drank and goes well with ginger or just by itself. Check this product out. It is well worth the money, and it goes well with Cohiba's.

I picked up a 6er of Heineken Dark Lager and was very pleased!

Chris Guinther, there was just a big recall on Sam Adams. Check before you drink. IIRC it had to do with glass in one of the brews.

I just purchased a bottle of Hob Nob, Pinot Noir. Very nice bottle.

I just picked up a bottle of the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, 2006 edition. Bloof, you are right, this is fantastic stuff. I may have to grab another bottle or two next week. Really good, clean finish, and citrusy/vanilla flavor. It's also a high enough proof to really enjoy (96 proof I think). Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

I picked up a 1.75 Liter bottle of Old Grand Dad Bonded today. The bottle isn't pretty...orange screwcap and ugly label, but man, that's some good stuff. Highly recommended.

my brother brewed some honey mead for me and my wife. im not sure when we will openit but it lookgs great.