What to drink while smoking.

Joined Aug 2005
8 Posts | 0+
My first post.

this is a tale of 2 Cusano C18s. The first one was wonderful, very smooth and creamy. I forgot what I was drinking at that time, most likely a Brooklyn or Victory beer. Last night I had the Cusano with some iced tea. I found that I didn't enjoy the cigar nearly as much as the first time.

Does this sound typical? What's your favorite drink while smoking?

I'm a fairly inexperienced cigar smoker in that I usually only smoke in the summer when I can sit outside.

Drink & food can really effect the flavor of a cigar.
Personally I drink water or coffee
(coffee because I always drink coffee)

I find water clears the pallate and keeps the flavors fresh!

Albie, welcome. It can sometimes be a difficult task to pair up a cigar with a beverage so it doen't overpower one another. That is why on one of my first posts, I asked the same question. You can search for the thread in this forum, its called favorite cigar/drink combinations. There are a couple pages of everyones favorite cigars and drinks. You will most likely find some that you like, and it eliminates trial and error, for these are favorites that we have all tried and enjoyed. Ryan

Albie:

I had a cup of coffee with my Cusano 18 this week - it was excellent. Try that if you like coffee. I have been a broken record about coffee this week.

I agree w/ CC. I like water when I smoke a good cigar. I only have the flavor of the tobacco in my mouth! I think it helps. Although I wont dispute a good beer or other alcoholic bev if you can find the right combo. Good Luck!

Coffee, bourbon, two excellent things to drink. There's another thread about this somewhere. The drinks are as varied as the people. I normally don't drink anything, but coffee and bourbon are there for my cigars occasionally.

i wouldnt think that ice tea would go well with a cigar. especialy if it were sweetend. sweet things with a cigar make me want to puke

Ok, so several people suggested coffee. So I stop off at 7-11 to pick up a cup on my way to Mom's house for my Sunday afternoon visit. They've got these new iced coffee/latte machines so decide to try one of the "small" lattes (28 oz.). I fire up a Oliva Gold churchill and have a very pleasant ride there but stop off at a smoke shop near her house to pick up her weekly lottery tickets and, while there, pick up a Gran Habano #6 Carojo Toro for the ride home.

After finishing my visit with Mom, light up the cigar, stop off at a 7-11 near her place and picked up another 28 oz. plain iced coffee, black.

It never occurred to me that I was drinking about 50 oz. of coffee over the course of about 3 hours. Although the Oliva is not that stong a cigar, the other one was quite a bit more potent.

Now, I'm usually a pipe smoker. The tobacco I smoke is quite mild. Needless to say, I was pretty wired by the time I got home. It's now 3 hours later and can still feel the buzz.

something about tea and smokes that dont mix well. I know alot of people on here like tea with there smokes, but I have found it very bitter. Might just be me. I love a good scotch or water, and coffe seems to mix well with most smokes.

A good SINGLE malt scotch is always a good choice!

Water and coffee is fine, too.

And believe it or not.......root beer. I wouldn't have believed it myself until I tried it.

As an old fan of root beer myself, I think it probably goes good with just about anything. :thumbsup:

Usually a big glass of cold water. On other occasions a nice whiskey or in the mornings some freshly ground cuban coffee. :thumbsup:

Hey Bloof,

Shoulder is functioning like new - no reprocussions to speak of thankfully! As for other things, its been busy busy busy. I've spent several weeks in Northern Ireland, a weeks training in Belize and I'm going down to Sandhurst to recruit some new officers till the end of the month - so it's been pretty hectic and its going to carry on being pretty hectic for a while. Hence my absence from this board! Hopefully I'll have a day or two to catch up!

Good to see you are keeping well my friend!

-Ando :thumbsup:

Great news Ando!! Kind of a threadjack, but absolutely great news to hear your shoulder is back to as normal as possible. Good to hear from you, take care.

Regards,
Paul

Albie said:
I forgot what I was drinking at that time, most likely a Brooklyn or Victory beer.

Welcome Albie! Your choice of beers is most excellent! Two of my favorites. Are you drinking the ales? Brooklyn IPA is great along with Hop Devil from Victory. On the stout side, Brooklyn chocolate is fantastic along with Storm King. Both great examples of Imperial Stouts.

I drink everything with a cigar, but what I found last week was the palate cleansing from WATER! Try it!

quote by RazorKing:

Welcome Albie! Your choice of beers is most excellent! Two of my favorites. Are you drinking the ales? Brooklyn IPA is great along with Hop Devil from Victory. On the stout side, Brooklyn chocolate is fantastic along with Storm King. Both great examples of Imperial Stouts.​

I've never been able to find Hop Devil. Have you ever tried any beers from the Ommegang Brewery? Tonight had a Partagas Spanich Rosado with 2 Brooklyn Weisse.