Whats Your Favorite Cigar

A guy over on TheHighRoad.org sent me (free! for no reason!) two Opus X cigars, so I broke down and bought a travel humidor to hold them until I smoke them! Can't wait... maybe if Bush wins.

The other cigar I have is called;

Aurora 100 Años

...anyone know anything about this smoke?

-s

sven said:
A guy over on TheHighRoad.org sent me (free! for no reason!) two Opus X cigars, so I broke down and bought a travel humidor to hold them until I smoke them! Can't wait... maybe if Bush wins.

The other cigar I have is called;

Aurora 100 Años

...anyone know anything about this smoke?

-s

The Aurora brand is pretty good. The first smoke that I ever had that really opened my eyes was an Aurora. It wasn't too long after that when i found the folks at "cigar weekly". It's been all down hill since :D :D :D

fubar said:
if you can afford cigars you're not buying enough guns and ammo.

Couldn't have said it better myself, lol. :mrgreen: :thumbsup: 8) I haven't had any fancy pants cigars, but I'd say the best I've hand were Swisher Sweets Blackstone Vanillas.

Montecristo #2 Cuba,
Monticristo #1 Dominican
also recently bought a box of ST DuPont Churchills that aint bad either!
Morguns1Cam

favorites

Sancho Panza Non Plus,

Montecristo N° 4,

Ron Havana Club 7 años,

Ron Havana Club Añejo Reserva,

Ron Havana Club 3 años,

Ron Havana Club Añejo Blanco,

Bolivar Coronas Junior,

Bolivar Petit Coronas (Cabinet Selection of 50),

Punch Super Selection N° 2,

Punch Royal Selection N° 12,

Juan Lopez Seleccion N° 1.

Finding Fuente Opus Xs and being able to afford them is a confluence of circumstances that occurs only rarely. Pushed to the wall, I'd have to say the X is the fave. The Hemingway Classic is my goto cigar but it really hurts my feelings when I remember buying them for $60 per box at Barney's on Court St.

I had Cubans in the '70s when I was in Spain, the Montes were as good a cigar as I've ever had. I had some smuggled back for me in the '90s, and they were not at all up to snuff. I'd read that the loss of Soviet subsidization of the Cuban economy wreaked havoc on cigar production at the time. Maybe they're back--maybe not--but I can't see spending that kind of money for what were (generously) mediocre smokes.

I recently bought some Dunhill Peravias. I can't come up with a single reason not to buy some more. I usually gravitate to the stronger, full bodied cigars, but the Dunhills put a big dopey grin on my face. I've been known to smoke a cigar further down than is considered apropos in polite circles. The Dunhills are enjoyable right up until the smell of burning moustache hair signals that the fun is over. I don't recall ever lighting a Dunhill that didn't burn perfectly (that's an issue with me).

To this day the Dunhill Peravia is my No. 2, an all time favorite, and thankfully they can still be found, even though they are no longer made. And as per my post on the Hemingway's, the Classic is going to be a permanent fixture in my humidors once again.

As far as Cubans purchased in the 90's by someone who went to Cuba and got them for you, I'd speak with Castle Crest and others about that, because chances are you got fakes. The chances are HUGE that you got fakes. Cuban tobacco yes, but the real thing as per the band, not necessarily. What happened during the 90's, perhaps as a result of the cessation of the Soviet subsidization that you mentioned, is the rise of fake Cuban cigar production within Cuba itself to astronomical proportions, perhaps as a result of people looking to survive the crashing economy.

It's too bad Castle Crest isn't around much, and that all of the other guys and dolls I knew at "another web site" are firmly entrenched in their new home, but take it from somebody who has spoken to the Willie Mays of Cuban cigar smokers himself, at least as far as Americans go, . . .

EVEN IN CUBA the chances of getting a fake box of Cohibas are incredibly high. Don't EVER give up on the flavor of TRUE Cuban cigars, because there is NO cigar in the world like a good Cuban cigar, and they CAN be had, even by US, although I choose not to avail myself of the opportunities at hand. I do get to smoke them occasionally as a result of the generosity of some of my compadres from that "other web site."

For further hardcore cigar information from the best sources available, check out . . .

http://www.cigarwise.com

Actually, the cubanos were brought back by a friend who went to London. They were purchased at a well known tobacconist--whose name escapes me at the moment. I have heard of people getting counterfiet Opus Xs from reputable shops here in NY, so I guess it's possible that they were fakes. If you build a cigar for two or three dollars, and sell it for twenty-five dollars, that could work out to be real money after a while.

If he bought them in London from a well known tobacconist, that DOES greatly reduce the chances. I'm not saying bad ones don't exist in the world of real Cuban cigars, but don't let it make you become dismissive of them.

I am a stone's toss from Kingston, Ontario, Canada. I have been to Afghanistan, Germany, Iceland, and a few other places in the world where Cuban Cigars were to be had for decent prices.
With that being said, I can say that what is available from Esteli, Nicaragua, Dominica, Honduras, etc is just as good, if not better.
The families that fled Cuba in 1959 took with them, the best seed stock Cuba had to offer. The leaves they produce in the soils in Esteli, Dominicana etc, are much better than what is found in Cuba.
Cuban cigars are now suffering a loss of quality due to the lack of proper aging to keep up with world demand. The brands from the fore mentioned places, like Torano, La Aurora, La Vieja Habana Early Years, will stand toe to toe against any current offering from Cuba, and usually be equal to, if not better. I say this based on what I have seen on the Aficionado Insider ratings. I also say it based on my business, Distorted Services-Purveyor of Fine Cigars, and what my customers most frequently request.
If I had to choose my favorite Cigar, I would have to pick three or four:
La Aurora Preferidos Red Tubo #4
Torano 1916 Cameroon
Drew Estate 'Natural' Pimp Stick
Drew Estate La Vieja Habana 'Early Years' Festibal de Moroc

Of course I thoroughly enjoy the Kahlua infusions, and the Juggernaut infusions on a regular basis, but I don't think those apply here very well :D

I love maduro's Onyx,CAO and Nat Sherman all make excellent ones.My favorite size is the robusto.And for sentimental reasons I really enjoy dunhill's.One of my best friends worked at their Beverly Hills,rodeo dr. store for over 25 years before they shut it and all the other U.S. outlets except the NYC 5th Ave store.

A guy at work yesterday gave me a 'Cuban' cigar. "I get them from a friend in Germany" was what he said. It is a metal tubo about 38 ring, Backgammon. It looks like a high end cut filler by the hole in the end. I am actually afraid to light it up, because I have the feeling it won't be very good. Anyone ever hear of these?
It's a red tubo, about 6 x 38/32.
I think a Marsh Wheeling Deluxe Dark Stogie would be better.

I am with Fernando on the OpusX but cant agree with you cuban smokers. The past five years of Cuban production have been an utter dissapointment except for the limitada lines. Its like if you want a cuban cuban that resembles the quality a decade ago you can only find that aroma in a limitada. Other than that I love the following:

Graycliff Crystal
Hemmingway Maduro
Davidoff Special R
Cusano C10
Gurkha Regent

Exactly WHERE do you get your Cuban cigars? I have had too many great ones, along with a lot of good ones that were of recent production to agree with you. As I have said many times in many places, fakes abound, even in Cuba!!!

Bloofington I typically trade with a buddy in california. In fact, I just picked up 2 cohiba siglo V sticks from the 94 batch which if you know your timeline on cohibas makes those some of the best siglos since there inception. I have yet to light one up but Thor and I are going to digging in on those probably somethime this month. When I am not trading, there is a reliable website in Canada that has great prices http://www.cigar-smoke.com that I will buy from. Pricing includes shipping and have not had any questionable limitadas with them. You can also ask Thor about another website we have used in Australia but Australia usually gets last allocation from habanos. If you dont mind unbanded cigars you can use http://www.cigars-of-cuba.com and those are very legit. The guy that runs the shop is a big habanos dealer. Unfortunatley, I stopped using him becuase I had two boxes of limitadas get seized at customs last year.

Well Alex, all I can say is I'm sorry you've had so many bad Cubans in the past five years, because truthfully I haven't. It does sound like you're all set up, so I hope they get better. Thanks for the info. :D

Bloof what would you say your favorite cuban is? Just curious. I mean if you could only smoke one puro for the rest of your life what would it be?