When I stepped out of Grand Central Terminal . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
shortly after midnight, the night was relaxing and not bitter cold, as the past couple of days had been. After a windy weekend, the temperatures had dipped to the point where Monday morning the Icy Blast had again invaded our part of the country with a roar like a runaway freight train going down Cajon Pass, and I know a thing or two about runaway freight trains going down Cajon Pass.

Maybe it was the fact that my chiropractor had gotten a fantastic adjustment on each side of my neck Monday, and had not only alleviated much of the damage done by my recent fall, but had possibly even begun to work his back to the multi-decade task of undoing the damage done by my car accident 26 years ago.

Maybe it was also the fact that the night wasn't bitter cold, crushing my chest, making me hunch and round my shoulders, which I instinctively do on cold days even when I'm properly dressed. My asthma could relax tonight, my chest rose to a normal position, my shoulders were back, feeling good all over, what's WRONG with me I thought, everything's feeling just TOO good!!!

Not only that, I was 'on time' for work, that being a somewhat relative term in the world of graveyard shift legal temping.

This night HAD to be worthy of a cigar and I had just the one in my Havana Pocket Humidor. Actually, I always have three, but I had the perfect one for this night, a cigar with no kick, yet a cigar with rich, beautiful taste, a small cigar so I wouldn't walk in late to work, a cigar worthy of the relaxed, peaceful nature of the night, a Fuente-Newman stalwart through the years, . . .

a Quintessential Bloofingtonian Girly Man Special, . . .

none other than the Light Connecticut Shade Wrapped . . .

Cuesta-Rey Centenario!!!!!!!!!!

(Editor's Note - waiting for the uproarious laughter to die down)

still waiting . . .

still waiting . . .

okay, for those of you who can hear me through the din of the 76,905 INCREDIBLY RUDE FANS :shock: :D in Fuente-Newman Stadium . . . :D

this cigar was reminiscent of the spring we're all waiting for over here. I could almost hear the the birds singing as I lit this cigar at 0008 hours outside of The Graybar Building and began the slow walk up Lexington Avenue toward my building. Rich, sweet flavors hit my palate immediately. One thing about these Cuesta-Rey Centenarios, they are one of the most consistent cigars I have ever encountered. Another wonderful characteristic is that they age extremely well.

Although we are talking about a cigar that few serious cigar smokers will partake of, leaving them to the weak of stomach such as myself, primarily because it is not a very strong cigar, and not bold in pungent flavors, you cannot argue when a cigar maker brings consistency and a signature taste to the table. And when such a cigar also will stand up to a year or two of aging, you have the recipe for success, which is why I always gleefully accept these from friends and am quite happy to receive a few each year with the renewal of my J.C. Newman Cigar Club membership.

Throughout this standard robusto sized stick, a No. 9 I believe, there was smoothness and the characteristic sweetness of the light Connecticut shade wrapper and Dominican filler. Sweet cream, country air notes played with lilacs and earth throughout, finishing with a crescendo of creme brulee at 1241 hours, a 33 minute smoke, totally relaxing and pleasant, a complete cigar experience and a wonderfully heady way to walk into work.

Cuesta-Rey Centenario. If you like smoothness, rich sweet NATURAL tobacco flavors and don't want to feel like your cigar just introduced you to Earnie Shavers' right hand, give these a try. Made by two of the most well established and successful independent families in the cigar manufacturing business, Fuente and Newman.

:D Probably. It was either from my J.C. Newman membership or sent to me by one of my many benefactors. But of courrrrrrse. :wink: